Vitara Pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94tuner

Im in the process of building a 91 dx with a d15b bottom and a z6 head. I am building the car for boost i have settled on eagle rods but not sure about pistons. I have heard some really impressive numbers with vitara pistons but i have also heard that they are common for being loud and making a "Slapping" noise. Since i am in college and working part time this is a budget build. I was wondering if anyone has actually used vitara and what your opinion was?

ive never personally used them but i have seen a lot of builds with them, one build in person. i didnt notice an especially loud noise coming from the engine. as long as the rings are gapped and arranged properly, i dont see why they wouldnt be as quiet as any other piston.

what mm are your pistons?

just make sure you get 75mm and not 75.5mm . the 1.5L mirage guys use the 75.5mm overbore (our stock size) they are not common for making noise in our engines. maybe because they are iron and closed deck.

the vitaras sit 'loose' in the honda 75mm bore, because of tolerances being different between suzuki and honda.
the teflon coated ycp vitaras fit more 'snugly' and eliminate piston slap.
another alternative is to get 75.5mm vitaras and have a machine shop bore your block to the appropriate ptw for you goals.

they are loud because your piston to wall is way too lose, you will lose power becauseof this. cast pistons dont grow with heat like forged, thats why they are always loud.

go 75.5 mm and machine the block to spec. problem solved

Back