Volkswagen buys porsche

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So what's new? VW, Audi and Porsche have always been together. It's just a matter of what % is owned by what.

nothing new, nothing will change. The cars already share the same platforms with some suvs and cars.

again nothing new.

Porsche's CEO is going to be ousted by the VW CEO. There will be significant changes this time around.

Originally Porsche tried to acquire the majority stake in VW but due to some poor investments, when the financial markets collapsed, the company was too leveraged and carried too large of debt. Ultimately this made the company ripe for a take over.

The Porsche CEO is related to the VW CEO and after Porsche initially tried to acquire VW there is a family feud and bad blood. The VW CEO already ousted the prior CEO from VW due to a disagreement and thats the foreseen outcome of this takeover as well. Porsche's CEO has already talked about stepping down.

Just a FYI - that's paraphrased but sourced from Bloomberg and Wall Street Journal.

Koenigsegg bought out Saab recently as well and as part of the agreement, most of the work is being sent back to Sweden while they will still have a strategic alliance and share platforms with GM.

They killed the CTS with that one. Shoulda stuck with the 09 CTS-V body style
55363d1226820176-2009-cts-v-automatic-vs-2009-shelby-gt-500-kr-2009_cadillac_cts-v_001_-544x408-.jpg

ive posted this sooo many times its getting old...
i hate the new hondas..nothing newer than 2000 for me..i like evo's but not the new style ones.sti's but again not the new style ones..i am not a big fan of luxury cars..i dont like vw because i think they are junk..and other german cars are just retarded overpriced to fix..thats just my OPINION..
ive never been about luxury..i would rather drive something with no airbags.no power stearing.no ac..i hate luxury shit

That's what I figured.

In other words you have no idea what your talking about outside of what you believe you do and dont like. Nothing more then opinion backed by nothing but opinion that is based on nothing more then opinion that was formed I guess on the internet?

until you get some real seat time your opinion doesn't mean jack shit in the car world =)

What's sad is when I was younger, 16-17ish, I felt the same way as you about cars (not cocks) I had a civic, no A/C no power steering, I had ZERO desire to have something like a BMW or Audi. why the hell does any of that other stuff matter?

Weird how driving them around changed my whole world.

I paid 7K for my Civic, and by the time I was done I had at least $20K+ into it.
The car could spin tires in 3rd gear at 90mph if I just mashed the throttle. I remember the first time getting into an Audi, getting some seat time in the car, the way the 100% stock car handled the way the steering felt great, it wasn't watered down like most Japaneses cars Accord and Camery LOVE to make steering a 1 finger job, I HATE driving them, they feel so bland and boring, long story short, shortly after spending time in an Audi I sold my civic and bought an Audi. Then went to a 350Z, another civic (HATED IT) then Acura TL and now I'm back in a German car and couldn't be happier. I can't think of a single car I'd rather have. well, maybe a C63 or M3 =)

If you get a chance, try to drive a 100% stock (newer) BMW or Audi with a sport package. what's nice about the German cars is while they might be luxery, their first goal is to make a great handling car that gives you the best feed back. It really shines when driving them.

Why do VW tuners stretch their narrow tires over wide rims? I know we mentioned this in the rust thread but that just seems dangerous.

I have a friend who has an 06 golf. It has 30,000-40 miles on it, and the tranny is fucked. She took it in, and they said it was something wrong in the ecu. They tweaked it, and now it only slams into 2nd semi-violently. Plus that 2.0 is sorta pathetic, and its as responsive as a 2 toed sloth. I'm sure it has something to do with the auto transmission, but I'm not that bias. Plus it has a sealed transmission, so you can't check the fluid without taking it in, and shes had more little shit go wrong than a new car should. I'll stick to pre 2000 hondas. Thanks though.

Hell, I am only 23 and I would love to get away from Honda. Dont get me wrong, I love my CRX but I would much rather it be a toy/project. I would love to have a ride that I got into and it just went. If the family and I want to go on a road trip we just hope in and go.

Yeah, I hear you there, but I'd rather have a more reliable car than what I've seen from vw. I like audi. My friend had an a90. that thing was sweet.

I have a friend who has an 06 golf. It has 30,000-40 miles on it, and the tranny is fucked. She took it in, and they said it was something wrong in the ecu. They tweaked it, and now it only slams into 2nd semi-violently. Plus that 2.0 is sorta pathetic, and its as responsive as a 2 toed sloth. I'm sure it has something to do with the auto transmission, but I'm not that bias. Plus it has a sealed transmission, so you can't check the fluid without taking it in, and shes had more little shit go wrong than a new car should. I'll stick to pre 2000 hondas. Thanks though.

wow based on this story I am convinced very single german car ever made has the same problem and they just suck....pure genius.....cause no honda has ever had tranny problems or engine problems or electrical problems....

fucktard and a half + 1 x PIE

I'm not saying that every german car is fucked, I'm just saying that that one is a piece of shit, and it's turned me off from them. I've heard nothing but bad about the 2.0, and nothing vw has done in the past 30 years has really impressed me.

They killed the CTS with that one. Shoulda stuck with the 09 CTS-V body style
55363d1226820176-2009-cts-v-automatic-vs-2009-shelby-gt-500-kr-2009_cadillac_cts-v_001_-544x408-.jpg
They have stuck with the new CTS bodystyle. That's just the coupe and there may or may not be a wagon released. I love me some CTS-V and would take it in a heartbeat over any 4 door anyone else(including Audi, MB, BMW) has to offer.

Also Jeffie, I agree the G8 looked great, but it will be back rebadged as a Chevrolet Caprice. Hopefully they don't change the looks too much, unless they take some hints from the original Commodore.

Last edited:
They have stuck with the new CTS bodystyle. That's just the coupe and there may or may not be a wagon released. I love me some CTS-V and would take it in a heartbeat over any 4 door anyone else(including Audi, MB, BMW) has to offer.

I really liked the CTS for an American car, it was the only American car I made a point to go out and test drive, I went to the dealership, sat in the car, felt the interior and got right out and left.

I'd rather have a more reliable car than what I've seen from vw. I like audi. My friend had an a90. that thing was sweet.

Sigh...... that's like saying you really dislike Honda Accords because they break too often yet the Acura TL much better.....

It's not great, but it's not that bad. Granted it's nowhere near Audi, because nobody can even touch Audi interior. However, the V is a big upgrade interior-wise from the base CTS. It doesn't feel as cheap and the Recaros are fantastic.

Sigh...... that's like saying you really dislike Honda Accords because they break too often yet the Acura TL much better.....

Not really, they don't share a drive train, and judging from what I've experienced, the vws I've sat in we about as comfy as a cardboard box compared to the audis.

Vw and audi are way different in my opinion. Audi makes awesome cars that look and functions well. I would love to own a new Audi. Vw is in another class trying to bridge a gap between economy and luxury. I love the older golf's and jetta's but there newer ones are built poorly. They constantly have electrical, engine or tranny problems. Out of the few import mechanics we have where I live. The vehicles are about 80% vw's mostly jetta's. 15% are jdm and 5% are the older jaguar's/fiat/Mg/etc. In my opinion they are a touchy car, if you treat it right it's fine, however if you don't, you're looking at...lets see how should I put this........ a cluster-fuck. Granted this is because to many ignorant older people drive these things without even using the right oil.

Vw and audi are way different in my opinion. Audi makes awesome cars that look and functions well. I would love to own a new Audi. Vw is in another class trying to bridge a gap between economy and luxury. I love the older golf's and jetta's but there newer ones are built poorly. They constantly have electrical, engine or tranny problems. Out of the few import mechanics we have where I live. The vehicles are about 80% vw's mostly jetta's. 15% are jdm and 5% are the older jaguar's/fiat/Mg/etc. In my opinion they are a touchy car, if you treat it right it's fine, however if you don't, you're looking at...lets see how should I put this........ a cluster-fuck. Granted this is because to many ignorant older people drive these things without even using the right oil.

i can tell you this right now I owned a fully loaded 2006 Jetta GLI, leather, heated seats, it was a really realy nice car ....i got compliments everywhere i went....the Car Audio store i had the system done was impressed about the quality of the interior and when they drove it were even more impressed...

I have a 2004 Audi A4 and before this i owned a 2003 Audi a6 and a 2003 Mercedes c240....germans make some high quality cars and I have been happy with all 4 of those cars in terms of quality of both interior and build...

If you look at consumer ratings for 2004 Audi A4 its its a 9.1 on Edmunds, 8.9 for the 2003 C240, 9.1 for the 2006 VW and 8.5 for teh 2003 Audi a6,

those are some pretty dam high scores...so i would say over all people like german cars....

And all the 2009 most popular VW models, Jetta, GTI and Beetles have consumers ratigs of 9.2 or 9.3

numbers show people are happy with german made cars

i'd love to have a newer German car... but not the cost of maintenance that comes along w/ it

i'd love to have a newer German car... but not the cost of maintenance that comes along w/ it

BMW = free for I think 4 years. covers everything from brake pads to windshield wipers.

Mercedes has Service A and Service B Service A is done once a year and cost from 150-300, 300 being getting raped and 150-200 being normal.

Covers a free Mercedes loaner so you have zero down time and zero wait time.
oil, oil filter, inspect and top off all fluids. it's done every 12K miles or once a year.

Service B is done I can't remember how often but its pretty much the same as Service A but with replacing wiper blades, maybe changing tranny fluid and other stuff that should be done, I believe its closer to the 350-450 range.

Is it alot? depends how you look at it. add up 20-30 bucks every 3000 miles to do a civic that's $120 a year. VS 150-200 for a normal benz dealership, is it all that much more? not really. Plus you have to wait around to get it done unless you're like me and do it yourself, even so, 4 oil changes cost at least 80 bucks and the labor of 4 oil changes VS the 1 needed on the mercedes.... time = money.

Brake pads, tires, and other wear items will no doubt cost more then again you get what you pay for. 15" x 6" tires will always be cheaper then 18" x8" tires. Cheap pep boys brand brake pads will always be cheaper then brimbos...

Audi, not sure how much they run now to keep up with them.

back to the CTS
It's not great, but it's not that bad. Granted it's nowhere near Audi, because nobody can even touch Audi interior. However, the V is a big upgrade interior-wise from the base CTS. It doesn't feel as cheap and the Recaros are fantastic.
Here's my problem, the CTS is going AFTER audi and bmw, if you're talking about the V spec then you need to do apples to apples, the CTS = A4/A6 = BMW 3/5 series. Both the BMW and Audi milk the CTS and the CTS-V interior wise. to be fair the CTS-V needs to go up with the M3/M5 or RS4/RS6

It's one of those things if money isn't an issue and you have the choice to drive a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or Caddy, I can't see Caddy ever getting picked outside of the BUY AMERICAN ONLY!!!!!!!!!! guys.

Vw and audi are way different in my opinion. Audi makes awesome cars that look and functions well. I would love to own a new Audi. Vw is in another class trying to bridge a gap between economy and luxury
VWs can get up there quality and price wise, if you're talking about a base line getta/golf/rabbit then yes I agree with you they can't touch Audi however they're still sharing platforms so reliability wise, its really not all that much different. the 1.8 motor was used in sooo many cars as with the 2.0 both VW and Audi. from the bettle to the A4s

Back