Vroom Vroom Disease

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dashinghoopdi

I have a 1996 Honda Civic Cx with 550,000 miles on original engine. The engine is a D16Y7 (1.5). No cel, not burning oil, Manual Trans, original clutch. When car is cold car idles perfectly. When car reaches N.O.T. and cold start system is inactive the engine fluctuates from 1000 to 2500 rpm's (vroom vroom disease) by its self. I am the original owner of the car and it is completely stock. Got any suggestions?

spring in the fitv (fast idle thermo valve) under the throttle body could be stuck .. not sure if it has one though

Thank you. If there is am adjustment screw were would I look? Is this adjustment set at the factory? As far as a vacuum leak how should I go about locating the leak? I don't have much experience in diagnosing engine problems. I will see if I can find out if the car has the FITV.

adjustment screw is on the face of the TB... fitv would be bolted to the bottom of the TB... to check for vacuum leak, start the car..while its running spray carbon cleaner all around the intake side of the engine where there are gaskets, hoses etc.. if it starts to die out, u found ur leak..

Last edited:
It could also be air in the coolant. try bleeding it (or even flushing it if you haven't done so in a while).

vroom vroom

No coolant issues with car. No loss of coolant. No coolant in the oil.

Back