VTEC ground

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fardoche

What wire from the vtec connector do you ground? The connector on my B16 has 2 wires, one for the ECU and one for ground I guess...

Also, what is the best way to fit the axles in the car. The engine is already in, so I will have to move/remove the hubs. What is the best way to do this?
Thanks,

look for 2 cotters pins, 1 is in on the LCA and the other is on the spindle. take off those 2 bolts and the and the hole spindle should lift right up. slide the axle through the shock forks and insert to your tranny or intermediate shaft. then align the axle up with the hub and reinsert the spindle back to where it was. tighten bolts

it does not matter which wire goes where on the oil pressure switch... the sensor is not polar...
as far as the axles go, all you have to do is separate the lower ball joint and your axles will fit right through the wishbone...

thats it i could of sworn it was on the spindle some place.

To install the axles, just do this.

1. Loosen Lugnuts
2. Jack up front end via the jacking point in the middle of the front crossmember
3. Put the frame rails at the front of the doors on jackstands and lower the jack to put the car's weight ONLY on the jackstands.
4. Remove lugnuts and front wheels
5. Remove the cotterpin and castlenut from the lower balljoint.
6. Remove the vertical wishbone on each side's shock by removing the 14mm on the wishbone at the bottom of the shock, and the 17mm nut/bolt in the lower part of the wishbone.
7. Hit the sides of the lower control arm near the ball joint hole with a BFH until the ball joint separates. It should just pop apart without too much difficulty. DO NOT hit the actual balljoint unless you are using the castle nut on the end, and a piece of wood to keep from trashing up the threads.
8. Remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the brake line to the shock, and swing the brakes out of the way.
9. Install axles.
10. Reinstall as you just took apart. VERY simple.

NOTE: You WILL need someone to hold the brake for you to put the axle nut on to spec, unless your wheels have enough clearance for the 32mm socket on an extension, to complete tightening after the car is on the ground.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you need any more help.

Tools Needed:

10, 12,14,17, 19 and 32mm sockets. Short sockets will work for most of this. Only long socket you might need is a 19mm for the ball joint castlenut, usually.

BFH, Ball Joint separator, or <cringe> a picklefork to separate the lower balljoint.

Breaker bar is VERY helpful, but not required.

Thanks for the replies.
Actually I had it figured out, but I was stuck trying to get the lower ball joint out. I had to ram the pickle fork with the back of an axe to break it loose.
It was even worse than the bitch pin part... :p

Back