vtec wiring for a 95 civic DX with 99 GSR b18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey everyone I need some help here to get my civic running. I got a 99 gsr b18c motor (obd2b) and a OBD1 p72 ecu installed in my 1995 civic dx. I have to wire it up for vtec so i purchased a vtec wiring kit which is turning out to be more of a hassle than helpful. I read in another post that for this kind of swap you need to remove the wire at A20 and connect it to A17 on the ecu connector. But in the kit they give me a wire tap and wire that Im supposed to clip onto the wire already pinned in at A17. This is a pink wire that is supposed to be run to the IAB. My problem is that I know that obd1 p72 ecu uses a negative trigger to activate the IAB so what do I do with the red wire thats in A20 right now? Do I cut it? Also I am supposed to cut the black wire at the IAB and connect it to a 12v switched power source.. but where can I find a 12v switched source in the engine bay?

Thanks, but my only concern is that the engine wiring harness on the b18c is OBD2b, since its a 99 model year engine. And after reading the posts, I have learned that the OBD1 ecu uses a Negative signal to activate the IAB while the OBD2b ecu and engine wiring harness uses a Positive signal to activate the IAB, so I dont know how to wire the IAB at all. The other wires I have wired up correctly. :unsure:

thanks! so i move the red wire at a20 and tap it into the wire already in a17. Where do I find the IAB plug in the engine compartment? what does it look like? also, when i have to run the black wire to the 12v switched source (as stated in that link above) can it be any 12v positive source that turns on when the key is turned? I didnt quite understand what he meant in that article by connecting it to the yellow/black wires at the injectors, since I see a bunch of Yellow/black wires in the engine compartment.

Back