Wanna see what Spraying your I/C Does??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Did your buddy just blow off NITROUS fired directly at a running motor, in open air ?

Your friends lack a brain. Venting explosive gases in a shop, at an engine is bad, mmmkay. Tip from your Uncle Cel.

Icing your intake is a common track trick . This is nothing new.

Cooling it with a nitrous tank, is.

When i was at the track some old dude got out and sprayed liquid nitrogen on his IC before his run.
He did it kinda on the low, i'm not sure if they allow it, but the dude was like 50 in some old people's car too....maybe a volvo or somethin?

They have sold nitrous coolers for your intercooler for a bit now. n20 isn't explosive.. it is an inert gas.. it works to boost hp as an adder because it increase oxygen and it cools the intake air to like -149 f or something around there

n2o is NOT inert. lol. its very much flammable. hell the mythbusters used liquid n2o for the fuel of the rocket they built. you are right though, it adds oxygen to the mix.

Quoted post[/post]]
n2o is NOT inert. lol. its very much flammable. hell the mythbusters used liquid n2o for the fuel of the rocket they built. you are right though, it adds oxygen to the mix.

yes as a adder it makes more force... on it's own it is none flammable.. Nitrous + vaporized fuel = boom..

no fuel no boom. that is why we use nitrous for our cars and not just pure oxygen or some other flamable gas.. nitrous is safe..

Naws is not flamable...all it does is lowers the temps in an engine, and even spraying it like that...even into an open flame...it wount do anything. But...the other gases compressed into the bottle is kinda a fuel to add to fire...but for engines..it wont add more explosive gases...

spray some paint, hairspray, WD40...into a dish, and put a match to it...nothing...

put a match in front of those items while your spraying it...and tell me what happens...

But spray Nos will no add gas to a combustion in an engine...that's why it is used...it cools the air around that gas to super chill it, so more air can be squeezed in, and then the gas is added by an injector or carb...and then after the compression stroke..and ingition...it goes pop...

I think tecehincally when n2o is heated to combustion chamber temps it breaks down to n2 and o2 the oxygen is combusted and then the n2 is passed off as waste..

looks like around 550 F. is when the molecules seperate

Quoted post[/post]]
I think tecehincally when n2o is heated to combustion chamber temps it breaks down to n2 and o2 the oxygen is combusted and then the n2 is passed off as waste..

looks like around 550 F. is when the molecules seperate

this is exactly correct, while cooling being a benefit the real hp adder from nitrous is the molecules seperatting under compression into two parts one being oxygen. with this added oxygen more fuel can be added to the mix . More fule more air more power simple as that.

ok ok I'm wrong. It's not flammable nor combustible on it's own. At all. All it does is seperate at a specific temperature to add oxygen.

thisround.jpg

I thought it was flammable or combustible. Apparently it's just "explosive" and it's not too inert. And I came to that because of the explosions involving nitrous in car trunks. If it were inert it would be allowed in all SCCA events and track events. But the tank itself is the hazard there.

As far as spraying it, I'm not sure if a lit flame would kick it off or not. Haven't tried, I'm at work and can't do that research now.

it blows up on F&F because its under pressure. when it is heated, it expands and the gas has no where to go but out (remember, its packed in the 10lb bottle at like 10,000 psi as it is).

the bottle is dangerous.
the spray is not so much.

and NO nitrous is getting into the motor. an IC is not an open unit.

he does have a point...he is spraying quite close to the intake...i doubt hed get anymore than a 10 HP boost, but im quite sure it is getting sucked into the intake.

Back