Weird Running Issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lswhitecivic

VIP
The car is an 89 CRX. The car had a blown motor and my brother and I just got around to swapping in another d16a6. When driving around during the day everything seems to be fine except for a slight vacuum issue where when stopping the rpms go up before going down to idle.

The weird part happens at night. The car will sometimes start up fine, sometimes it needs a jump. It runs the best if the lights are turned off. A few minutes after you turn the lights on, all the interior lights will start to dim. It will get to a point where the engine will actually start to hesitate pretty badly until you turn the lights off. Now normally I would think there is an alternator issue, however the lights start to brighten up when you stop. The problems start up once you start going again. Also if you turn the lights off while it is hesitating it will stop.

The other weird thing to notice is that the whole time this problem is going on the car temp stays really low, it never gets up to normal operating temp.

Any ideas?

Usually though when its the alternator you'll either just die at some point, or if its just not running at full capacity when you rev the motor the lights should brighten up...when we rev on this car the lights actually dim.

yeah...thats whats freakin me out. have you done the normal ignition tune up parts? might be the coil going out or something. im just throwing out ideas that might make your car wanna die.

I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!!!!! check every single ground on the motor and clean them good. I had the same problem (EXACTLY) with my friends car, and come to find out the ground wire that hooks to the tranny wasn't comepletly tight :cool:

That may be, but I guarantee it doesn't always. Check all grounds and your battery terminals to make sure they are tight and free of corrosion or other non-conductive substance.

Back