what causes a stumble/momentary loss of power?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

its not like a misfire, its a sudden and complete loss of power like when cruising on the expressway it just falls flat then when you get back into the throttle to compensate just as suddenly it recovers and launches at full power

i was thinking dead spot in the tps maybe but this problem has been completely intermittent over the past few months as in it only acts up once in a while and then it will be fine for weeks

slowly failing or sticking iacv?

thoughts?

the 1st time it did it on the highway cruising steady in 5th gear at about 65ish but then it went away for a couple weeks. Now just the other day at started doing it in 1st gear like it didnt want to go from a stop under part throttle but it would move fine under heavy acceleration.

i still have to clean the iac to see if that makes any difference, planning on doing that tomorrow

just two of many possibilities...maybe they'll help you, maybe not.

i had random drops in power when the broken catalyst in my catalytic converter would get sucked into a good clog; it would take my car down to 1/2 power, easy. it'd work its way back to unclogged most times when i'd downshift and force some acceleration, or a bump would knock stuff loose too. i replaced the exhaust from the cat back and holy crap i had power back in that car that it hadn't had for five years.

and i had random drops in power when the ignition module (in the distributor housing) started flaking out on me. they felt like hiccups.

Back