what do i need

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accordkid

I have a 90 Honda accord lx 5 spd. i'm wanting to get the JDM h22 motor this summer. i am only 15 but me, my brother, and my dad are going to work on it this summer. Can u please help me with what i need, and how easy is the swap? Will I have to change any mounts? Any answers would be great.

Wiring is a piece of cake. If you've hooked up a deck in a car then you can do this swap.

Seriously, this is one of the easy honda swaps around. :D

Correction wiring is a piece of cake if you have the helms manual to both cars because if you have never done the wiring and or cross refrencing wires for the two distributors, you will have a head banging time trying to figure it out. For a newbie doing a swap this is not as cut and dry as people think. And hopefully you have all the tools necessary to do it, just in case you have to fabricate stuff, like my powersteering hose needed to be lenghtened. And re-welded my stock Cat on so I could pass emissions.

Originally posted by jdmclude@Apr 14 2004, 05:21 PM
Correction wiring is a piece of cake if you have the helms manual to both cars because if you have never done the wiring and or cross refrencing wires for the two distributors, you will have a head banging time trying to figure it out. For a newbie doing a swap this is not as cut and dry as people think. And hopefully you have all the tools necessary to do it, just in case you have to fabricate stuff, like my powersteering hose needed to be lenghtened. And re-welded my stock Cat on so I could pass emissions.

for your car it's an entirely different scenario.

For a 91 lx with an OBD-1 swap this all he would have to do:

1) INTERNAL/EXTERNAL COIL CONVERSION: If you car is equipped with an external distributor coil you have to cut the plug and solder the two positive leads together. (Usually a black/yellow and yellow wire), as the JDM H22 is an internal coil distributor. Some 90-91 accords had an internal coil, so you may luck out.

2) IAB: the cheater way to do this is to run a vaccum line from the IAB diaphragm to a nipple on the intake manifold, screw wiring up the solenoid

3) VTEC: (1) wire from the VTEC solenoid is sent to a ground, thermostat or otherwise, (1) wire to the ecu

4) Oil pressure switch: (1) wire to the ecu

5) Oil pressure sensor and knock sensor (2) wires: Extend oil pressure sensor wire about 6 inches and relocate. Knock sensor - (1) wire run to ecu.

DONE.

Other misc. things:

use F22 front water outlet housing (with temp. switch) on H22.

Use either a) F22 power steering pump, bracket and 44" belt or B) use 92-96 prelude power steering pressure hose and use h22 power steering pump and bracket.

Use F22 a/c compressor and bracket on h22.

Use F22 alternator

Use F22 drive belt.

Use F22 engine wire harness on h22.

Use F22 engine mounts.

Use aftermarket or stock 92-96 prelude air intake tube.

Use H22 ECU (duh).

Use aftermarket header/downpipe combo for a bolt-up exhaust.

that's it. (besides the manual labor).

^^^^^^Pretty damn complete list. My only addition would be to use your stock vacuum equipment and plug it on the H22 the same way you took it off of your F22.
Doing what he listed, you will have a stock cat, stock emissions, AC, cruise control, powersteering, and a great fucking car. If I didn't want these ammenities, I'd own a fucking Civic.

Good day, nice writeup bud.^^

thanks all of you who have answered my questions i will be keeping these at hand while i am doing my swap. thanks again. :worthy:

Originally posted by tab@Apr 15 2004, 04:12 AM
^^^^^^Pretty damn complete list. My only addition would be to use your stock vacuum equipment and plug it on the H22 the same way you took it off of your F22.
Doing what he listed, you will have a stock cat, stock emissions, AC, cruise control, powersteering, and a great fucking car. If I didn't want these ammenities, I'd own a fucking Civic.

Good day, nice writeup bud.^^

I didn't even realize how complete and concise I made it! :lol:

I would do an H22A swap over any other swap any day of the week.

shit, when I blew my H22's rod bearings my friend and I got it changed out (left tranny in) in about 7 hours. :D

Back