What do you all think?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
Ok, I've been thinking the past couple days about trading my truck. I currently have a 98 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L, reg cab, with topper and a BedRug bedliner. It also has brand new Yokohama tires.

Now, I love this truck, but it really doesn't have as much power as I expected, and the gas mileage is - ok, well, not great actually. I'm getting about 20 mpg.

I've been eyeing a lot of Outbacks lately, and I'm intrigued. I'd like to get the Impreza model, but I'm wondering if just getting the regular 2.2L version is a better choice. What do you all know (I'm sure Cel can give me plenty of info) about these cars? I've been checking Craigslist and it seems there are enough people out there willing to trade one for a truck or jeep or something. I don't really do a lot of hauling stuff, so I'm thinking I would like an AWD car that gets better mileage while still getting me up the mountain roads, and around in winter safely. Would this be a good choice? :confused:

::mummbles::

keep the Tacoma and if its a 2wd, bag and drag that bitch. do you not know what you can do to it? they do make turbo kits and other performance mods for em...

It's a 4x4. I'm not really looking to mod anything at the moment. I have enough financial troubles for now. I just want a good quality vehicle that gets better mileage, while not sacrificing the winter and mountain mobility much.

you're not going to do much better than 20 mpg in an outback either ... 22 probably

You can either have 4WD OR good fuel economy.

Never the two shall meet. It takes a lot to move all that running gear.

Subarus mostly suck in the gas consumption department. That, and they aren't that fast (The STi is, but that's about it). I have a 1989 RX4 now (All time AWD 10 speed turbo) and I get about 24 mpg, pussy footing it.

Now it also depensd on your area. If I were still in Colorado I would have stuck with the toyota 4Runner without a doubt. In the NE offroading isn't that serious, and I'm better off with the hatchback with a small trailer for when I need to haul minor things.

Sounds to me like you want a Subaru Impreza, and if you simply want one you'll simply get one :) If you're looking for the SMART choice there is only the Civic Hatchback. Good in the snow. Also, if you like the behavior of Subarus, check out a used Justy. 40 mpg there.

I saw what a Justy is, and it's rad. I don't think I want to go quite that old though. I have a friend who has an Outback (Impreza model, I think), and she loves it. I do want to talk to her and see what her fuel consumption is like. My mom has a Forester, and I love how it drives. It gets probably around 26-29 mpg. The thing with the truck is that the 2.7l 4 cyl does great in the city and stuff, the on the highway, it's pretty gutless. When the wind is blowing....I might as well float to wherever I'm going. I love the handling I get from the Subaru, and since I've started snowboarding a lot more, I really like the added traction when driving the mountain passes.

I've thought about going back to Honda and getting another HB, but to get the umph I want, I'll just end up swapping it, and I'm not sure I want to go that route. What's a DA like in the winter? And how does the LS do for fuel economy?

I still don't know why some of you guys like wagons, they look like something a soccer mom should be driving.

As of right now, I'm really indifferent in body style. I have liked WRX wagons, and I guess I'm somewhat fond of the Outback Impreza, but that's definitely not a deciding factor. Right now, I'm looking for reliability/dependability, safety and economy and I would like it to look rather nice. I've never really liked DSMs, but I was talking to my Sifu the other night and he had an Eclipse for like 10 years and frikkin loved it.... Did I just go too far?? :lol:

EDIT: Just noticed, but w00t for 2008 posts!

I've thought about going back to Honda and getting another HB, but to get the umph I want, I'll just end up swapping it, and I'm not sure I want to go that route. What's a DA like in the winter? And how does the LS do for fuel economy?
my DA is pretty good in the weather, but i also have a 4x4 to fall back on
fuel economy is pretty good
31-35 with normal commute driving

Found a 91 Teg, 5k on new motor. Black, needs a little love on the body, and a couple other things, but not a whole lot. It's got Blades on it too. Dude's interested in a trade, so I might start crossing my fingers.

Here's a link to it.
1991 acura integra, new engine, MUST SELL!!!

Did you read the part about the transmission? He says it's got a "JDM close ratio tranny" in it, so I'm guessing a B16 tranny probably. If you're looking for gas mileage you might want to pass on this car. I guess it depends on what kind of driving you do. If you granny shift it around town you'd probably do alright, but if you're on the freeway a lot the short gears are gonna kill your gas mileage.

It is a nice-looking DA though, I'd pimp it.

OBVIOUSLY I'm not going to trade straight up for the car. I need around $6k for my truck, and he's selling the car for $2100. With an extra 4k I can get myself back above water and then some. I'll probably pay off a good chunk of the loan I took out to pay for the truck in the first place. My checking account just went positive today since it was payday at my new job, w00t! I saw that about the tranny too, and I worked till 9:30 today, so I'm planning on calling the guy tomorrow to ask a few questions. We've sent a couple emails back and forth, and he's shown some interest. So I want to call and set a time to meet up and check each others' vehicles out.
That's quite a downgrade IMO
Right now, I'm just trying to simplify my life as much as possible. I'm not looking for a car to swap, but with a new motor (again, I'll take a look at it first) and a little love, it seems like a great car for me to take care of.

I didn't read the add, but some people hone out the cylinders with a drill / cylinder hone.. slap some auto zone piston rings on the old pistons, replace the main bearings, and call that a "new" or "freshly rebuilt" motor.

Be sure to look into that first.

I still don't know why some of you guys like wagons, they look like something a soccer mom should be driving.
never dis wagons. wagons are fucking awesome. coolest cars on the road (with a few exceptions).

Back