What else should I replace if doing head gasket?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ssl2k

I'm getting a ZC that has a blown head gasket and I need to know what else I should do while i'm that far into the engine....

Going to have the head resurfaced and a new integra head gasket from a 89 integra....

But what else should I replace as far as gaskets and other things like that since i'm going to be that far into the engine.?

well, if you have the money, as it seems you do, you might as well get the intake mani gasket, and exaust gasket. But im sure you may have already thought about that, seeing as how it is sorta obvious.

LOL

I wish I had a ton of money to play around with...I'm getting a trade on a zc for a d16a6 plus $100... that's this weeks pay check... then gaskets are next weeks check...then the zex kit is like another month down the road...

yeah i'll inspect the intake and exhuast gaskets and if they are bad i'll replace them....

i'm mainly wondering about like internal seals, valve seals...etc if they should be done...

How much does a valve job usually run?

nathan

valve work insn't cheap.... andn chances are if you blew the headgasket, that they are still fine.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 14 2004, 05:50 AM
valve work insn't cheap.... andn chances are if you blew the headgasket, that they are still fine.

might as well do the timing belt and water pump

Check the taper on the bore and look for scoring down the side of the cylinder walls. Get an actual machined straight edge and ckeck the deck for warping too. These can and do warp from overheating. I still remember a prelude I had to do the whole motor on because the deck warped way more than the head when the gasket went. If this car blew a head gasket from higher mileage and/or overheating, and the bottom end is tired, you will get more blow by than when the car was running because you just tightened up the top end.

P.S. I would pass on the dry shot. Unless you are going to freshen up the bottom end, and even then wait for the wet one-preferrably direct port. I know it's way more expensive but I have just seen way too many motors fry #1 cyl from dry kits loading in front. Damn near new motors.

yup u can get a whole head gasket kit tht comes with every seal u need, think i gave like 35 bucks for mine i think it was..

yup i would change timing belt and if u think u may need it tensioner and water pump ...
and i woud have the head surfaced also..

Back