What exactly do I need to put obd2 in an obd1 car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joshisakson_

Hey everyone,

I have been reading a lot on this and havn't really gotten a straight forward answer from anyone. Here is a straight forward question and I would just like a straight forward answer, or a link to one.

I pulled the D16Z6 out of my Del Sol, and I am putting a D16Y7 into it. I am going from obd1 to obd2, as well as losing vtec. Its a manual transmission, I was going to put the transmission thats bolted to the D16Y7 in the Del Sol.

What EXACTLY do I need to buy/do to make this engine work 100% normal. I plan on selling the car so it needs to be hassle free!

Thank you VERY much in advance for any answers given.

you need a obd2 conversion harness - a P2E ecu and you need to run wires for the ckf sensor ~ (obd1 doesn't have a ckf sensor)
or you can bypass the sensor .:FFS TechNet : CKF Bypass Trick :.
thats only if you use the obd2 ecu
if you not planning on changing the ecu then you can hook everything right up but the CEL will be on because you dont have the knock sensor and the vtec sh-t hooked up
hope this helps

Aside from the CEL being on, will the car run correct?

Is a P2E ecu found in a 97 Civic DX(this is where I got the d16y7)?

Where can I get an obd2 conversation harness?

Where do I run the wires for the ckf sensor?

Thank you very much for the help!

well if you still have the z6, you could run tits obd1 dizzy, as well as its intake manifold and it would plug in to your stock harness like an obd1 engine.

99sidude I have the z6 still. So if I put then distributor and the intake from the z6 on, then I can skip buying a wiring harness? I would still have to run wires for the knock sensor though correct?

anything I can do about the vtec then? it will still make the check engine light come on, correct? anything I can do about that?

Last edited:
The check engine light will come on if you use the p28 ecu (z6 ecu), get an ecu from a 92-95 civic running the d15b7 engine (dx models- non vtec)

Can I just use the ECU from the 97 DX, get an obd2 conversion harness, and bypass the knock sensor to be able to run without any lights?

Okay I just checked the price on a conversion harness, its 125 bucks, if I get an obd1 non vtec ecu, will the engine run fine? I only ask because its coming out of a 1.5L and going onto a 1.6L.

Does it have to be the dx model? What about the lx model? Does it matter that its going into a Del Sol? Does it have to come out of a manual if its going into a manual?

Last edited:
get an ecu from any non-vtec obd1(92-95) civic or integra, and it will run your engine. The 92-95 lx civics have the same engine as the dx models

Back