What exactly will I need?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hi, I'm installing a turbo on my d series (non-vtec) motor.

I'm about to purchase the turbo kit, it will include the manifold, turbo itself, bov, intercooler, all the piping, and all the gaskets and bolts.

I've been talking to a few friends and most say that I will at least need high flow injectors (440 cc) and some ECU modification.

I'm only looking for around 10 psi of boost max to achieve maybe 50-75 hp gain. If I can get more, great, but I need to run it off pump gas, and can't afford breaking axles every other week.

Not looking to run 10s at the quater, just a quick daily. I don't want to do an engine swap either, because the turbo kit I am getting is a really good deal..

so what exactly will I need? I'm going to have a shop program the ECU, but I can do everything else myself.

As far as i see your on the right track. As for wat size injectors all depends on how much Hp you plan on or will be making. 440cc injectors are for 220+whp apps correct me if im wrong. 310cc sounds right to me, and for wat management system to run will also depend on if your obd2 or obd1. if obd2 youll need a Jumper harness, and obd1 ecu and CHIp to run Crome/Uber etc. Pump gas should be fine for the 50-75hp u want, but you dnt need 1o psi to make that much power.

^He's got it right. Depending on the turbo size, the 440s may be overkill, but its better to have more then less.

Chipping the ECU sounds complicated and so does tuning it yourself, but its surprisingly easy to do both. Contact Xenocron.com for a chipped ECU and everything you will need to tune the car yourself.

i would advise the 440's over the 310's
thats what tuning is for

indeed. 310's are for all motor cars :)

even 200hp DSM talons/eclipses come with 450's :)

it gives you room to grow, and with the injector multiplier tools, anything from stock to 850cc can run preactically identically. when you go larger than about 850, you need to start upping fuel pressue and idel rpm and gets a little trickier.... but other than that, the 440/450 range is where you should be looking.

As much as I hate SSautoshit for the BS they pulled on me, I rode in this kids civic that had a SS kit on it. It was decent.

what did they pull on you?

i've heard lots of horror stories and a few good stories
i think the main problems with them are boost spikes and the manifold falling apart

It doesn't matter how big the injectors are, because you can always tune them down.. but will I need a new fuel management system? I.E. something piggybacked? Or will tuning the ECU take care of that?
Is that all I really need: new injectors and ECU tuning? Crome, TurboEdit, Uberdata --- DIY Honda ECU tuning and chipping resources, products write-ups and links. Widebands, Fuel Pumps, Intercoolers, ECU Chipping, Wideband Tuning & more will supply me with a new ECU?

btw I'm running OBD-1

reckedracing said:
you wanna post a link to this kit?
is it on ebay?
is it ssautochrome?

I don't have alink for the kit because it's a friend who's selling it to me. Basically it's a t4 turbo 60 trim (unsure) with a hks bov and custom manifold.

yes, you DEFINATELY need tuning/engine managment to tune the injectors down or you will wash down your cylinders and seriously harm your motor...

no piggyback
ecu tuning will handle this...
xenocron can socket/chip your ecu, or he can sell you one already chipped
he can also give you a couple basemap chips to get you started

then you tune, or take it somewhere to tune

I had the boost spike issues and there's just no way to contact them. They dont answer any email that has anything remotely technical in it. I tried to get them to replace the bad wastegate actuator that was on my turbo, and couldnt get a response from them. They just suck! :p

Whatever car you have, whatever route you choose, if you are going to tune yourself, minimum tools needed are 1)Laptop, 2)Tuning software (crome, TurboEdit, etc..) 3)Wideband 4) Moates Ostrich, or chip burner with lots of eproms. I'd also get an EGT sensor since you are going turbo, as EGTs are a lot more important for tuning a turbo setup well.

Since you are running obd1, you most likely have stock, 240cc saturated injectors. So either get bigger saturated injectors, or if you go with dsm injectors, pick up a resistor box from a 90-91 integra, or from a dsm turbo junk car, or make your own resistor harness, as the dsm injectors are peak and hold type injectors.

Last edited:
So since I'm having a shop do the tuning part, I guess all I need now are bigger injectors and to pick up a chip for my ecu.

Thanks a lot guys.

the tuner is going to create a chip for you...
unless they make you bring your own chips which is just geigh

don't run the bigger injectors without having it tuned...

pissedoffsol said:
you're up in mass? go see matt in boston. pm me if you want his contact info

Yeah, I'm in mass. But who's this random matt fellow?

Back