What is better B16 trany or Ls trany

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you get this opinion that the LS tranny is better than the B16 tranny for boost because you stay in boost longer? When I think about it that doesn't make much sense. With the shorter geared tranny you will be in boost just as long. You will actually have more of a chance of staying in boost with the shorter geared tranny. Why? because your rpms won't drop as low everytime you shift and you will stay in your power band longer. You will be able to keep your motor at high rpms and rip through the gears. For honda motors the power band is at high rpms no matter if it's turbo, N/A, nirous, supercharged, whatever because it doesn't matter.

If you didn't understand what I just said here is a senario for you. I am just going to make up rpms up so you get my point. We have a honda engine that makes the most power between 5,000 - 7,000 rpms.

Let's say you have a tranny with really long gears. You shift at 7,000 rpms and your rpms drop to 3,000 once your in the next gear. You have just dropped out of your power band and have to wait. Who cares if your still in boost because your not going to get going really fast until you get the rpms back up. Forget about when your turbo makes boost and just worry about when your motor makes the most power. If you would have had a shorter geared tranny when you shifted at 7,000 rpms you would only drop to 5,000 rpms you would still be boosting and be right there in the fat part of your power band. Honda motors make power at high rpms so you want to stay up their as long as possible. That means getting the shortest geared tranny you can find.

Import builders also made a good point and said as long as you can still get traction. For most of use traction shouldn't be an issue because were not making that much horsepower. If you can't get traction then you should think about better tires, LSD, suspension, etc... anything that will help. I don't konw about you, but that makes sense to me. :mellow:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 17 2004, 08:08 AM
shoter gearing = faster acceleration.

Na, boosted, juiced, propane injected, water fed, hydogen eating, batery powered, you name it.

The LS tranny is good for 2 things.
1- good gas mileage.
2- 180mph dashes.

if you dont' care a shit about either of those, the Ls is not for you

why doesn't anyone ever listen to you??

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@May 17 2004, 03:39 PM
How did you get this opinion that the LS tranny is better than the B16 tranny for boost because you stay in boost longer? When I think about it that doesn't make much sense. With the shorter geared tranny you will be in boost just as long. You will actually have more of a chance of staying in boost with the shorter geared tranny. Why? because your rpms won't drop as low everytime you shift and you will stay in your power band longer. You will be able to keep your motor at high rpms and rip through the gears. For honda motors the power band is at high rpms no matter if it's turbo, N/A, nirous, supercharged, whatever because it doesn't matter.

If you didn't understand what I just said here is a senario for you. I am just going to make up rpms up so you get my point. We have a honda engine that makes the most power between 5,000 - 7,000 rpms.

Let's say you have a tranny with really long gears. You shift at 7,000 rpms and your rpms drop to 3,000 once your in the next gear. You have just dropped out of your power band and have to wait. Who cares if your still in boost because your not going to get going really fast until you get the rpms back up. Forget about when your turbo makes boost and just worry about when your motor makes the most power. If you would have had a shorter geared tranny when you shifted at 7,000 rpms you would only drop to 5,000 rpms you would still be boosting and be right there in the fat part of your power band. Honda motors make power at high rpms so you want to stay up their as long as possible. That means getting the shortest geared tranny you can find.

Import builders also made a good point and said as long as you can still get traction. For most of use traction shouldn't be an issue because were not making that much horsepower. If you can't get traction then you should think about better tires, LSD, suspension, etc... anything that will help. I don't konw about you, but that makes sense to me. :mellow:

Yea I see your point , I got the idea of that longer in boost thing because of my friend. He has an integra ls and a t3/t4 turbo on it with 3 " down pipe and no exhaust and its a nnice turbo but right now hes only runing 5 pounds and he raced a Si turbo i dont know if it was stock or not. But they went from a stop as they were reaching the point where me and my boys were standing everytime they shift you could see the ls jus pulling on him and he won by 1 car length not bad for a stock ls with 5psi. But i see what your saying i would take your advise because im sure you know more about trannies than i , Just wanted to see what people said about ls is better for boost . Originaly i was going to boost my ls/vtec and i have a b16 hydro jdm tranny and i was told by some one also that the b16 trany wouldnt be good at all and this was a real smart and informed guy he builds and sells engines and is known to have a pretty fast car down here and i figured since i need to change my pistons for .5mm bigger than the ones i got now i said forget it ill just go allmotor ,You think i should still go after the boost or should i go all motor it's a ls/vtec in a ek hatch ? b16 trany,b18a ls block w/ crower rods and pistons still buying,b16 head with gsr cams and gears and im probably getting the edle brock victor x intake mani if i go boost or else the guy said he would get me his type-r intake mani for all motor.?any help or advice would be great

Originally posted by 90crxb18+May 17 2004, 09:41 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 17 2004, 08:08 AM
shoter gearing = faster acceleration.

Na, boosted, juiced, propane injected, water fed, hydogen eating, batery powered, you name it.

The LS tranny is good for 2 things.
1- good gas mileage.
2- 180mph dashes.

if you dont' care a shit about either of those, the Ls is not for you

why doesn't anyone ever listen to you??

Because they are pretty much stupid. At no time, is a longer geared tranny going to be better for a faster car. <---see the red dot, that's a period, as in it is not debatable, shorter gears= faster, period.

Originally posted by brasilianstreet+May 17 2004, 01:54 PM-->
beerbongskickass
@May 17 2004, 03:39 PM

Yea I see your point , I got the idea of that longer in boost thing because of my friend. He has an integra ls and a t3/t4 turbo on it with 3 " down pipe and no exhaust and its a nnice turbo but right now hes only runing 5 pounds and he raced a Si turbo i dont know if it was stock or not. But they went from a stop as they were reaching the point where me and my boys were standing everytime they shift you could see the ls jus pulling on him and he won by 1 car length not bad for a stock ls with 5psi. But i see what your saying i would take your advise because im sure you know more about trannies than i , Just wanted to see what people said about ls is better for boost . Originaly i was going to boost my ls/vtec and i have a b16 hydro jdm tranny and i was told by some one also that the b16 trany wouldnt be good at all and this was a real smart and informed guy he builds and sells engines and is known to have a pretty fast car down here and i figured since i need to change my pistons for .5mm bigger than the ones i got now i said forget it ill just go allmotor ,You think i should still go after the boost or should i go all motor it's a ls/vtec in a ek hatch ? b16 trany,b18a ls block w/ crower rods and pistons still buying,b16 head with gsr cams and gears and im probably getting the edle brock victor x intake mani if i go boost or else the guy said he would get me his type-r intake mani for all motor.?any help or advice would be great

Start your own thread man.

can you guys please quit posting stupid shit. how bout you guys run your "stay in boost longer" trannys and come race me for some money?

shit... you should just not run a tranny at all? just 1 big ass gear to stay in boost for like 30 seconds as you make a 1/4 mile pass! that would rock!

I have an LS tranny, and from my personal experience I would love a short gear ratio. You should get the b16 tranny. It will be great for track dashes, and racing your friends.

this thread pissed me off so much that i made it a FAQ.

so, topic closed

:readfaq:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back