What is this noise?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mtnbkrpnk

I drive a 97 DX coupe, I have 79000 miles on it, and over the last few weeks I have had a rattling noise coming from under the dash. It only does it when the car is at a standstill. As soon as I add gas in gear it stops. i was thinking an AC compressor, but I don't know alot about mechanical stuff yet. The heater and AC can be on or off and it acts the same. Any ideas??

start it up and look underneath the dash with a flashlight is the only thing i can think of, make sure its not anything in your glovebox first

It's definitely mechanical, but I will pull the dash off and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

dude as soon as you hear that noise.. run around your car like a mad man and find it .. lol pop your hood and listen look under your dash.. make sure its not something stupid like xyswany said.

Empty out your dashboard. Most like (At idle) an item is vibrating around which doesn't happen at accelleration or stopping because the idle is more steady and smooth.

Back