what tire psi for 17's?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotorbeast

what is the correct psi for 17in rims with 205/40/17? at the moment my tire is at 32psi all around before driving it.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Oct 9 2003, 12:34 AM
it should say on the sidewall of the tire what the correct PSI is.

werd, when i had 17's i always kept them at like 40-44 psi

i know it dont ever exceed 44psi, but that doesnt mean you should go close to it. i guess me being at 32psi is fine.

Originally posted by allmotorbeast@Oct 8 2003, 11:52 PM
i know it dont ever exceed 44psi, but that doesnt mean you should go close to it. i guess me being at 32psi is fine.

Actually mine is 51. Read the sidewall of your tire.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Oct 8 2003, 11:34 PM
it should say on the sidewall of the tire what the correct PSI is.

God you're so wrong... the pressure listed on the sidewall is the maximum cold pressure that the tire can handle, not what is recommended for inflation. You need to try out different tire pressures until you get the grip and contact patch that you like. Every tire is different, and on every car setup it's different too. There's no perfect tire pressure for a given size of tire.

:withstupid:

try a pressure drive around for a little while (take some hard corners) and check where the tire is wearing .... add more if you are getting too much roll over... take some out if you are not getting to the edges of the tire..... front and rear will require different pressures

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Oct 10 2003, 01:21 AM
check where the tire is wearing ....

One trick some people use is to chalk up the sidewalls and tread, then drive around a mile and see where it's worn off. That's an easy way to check how your contact patch is behaving.

17s don't roll over... you either brake loose all together, or just hit rim. 205/40/17's suck ass. i know, i had a set. lol

i ran 38/36 in mine

Originally posted by Calesta+Oct 10 2003, 03:38 AM-->
@Oct 10 2003, 01:21 AM
check where the tire is wearing ....

One trick some people use is to chalk up the sidewalls and tread, then drive around a mile and see where it's worn off. That's an easy way to check how your contact patch is behaving.

Yep, I do that in autoX's and adjust my pressure accordinly after each run.

Back