What to do

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crazycajun

I have a 1990 civic 4 door sedan the motor a 1.5 is in bad shape. Should I rebuild it or move on to bigger and better. The car is a project I got for free. I am looking to push over 200 hp at the wheels. If the 1.5 can not do it. What would be an easy swap. I want to go all motor for now. Every opion would be helpful. I have never built a four cylinder before. :huh:

Quoted post[/post]]
i say swap a b16
or a d16z6 with a light turbo your current axels and tranny will bolt up
better yet and B18b1 (LS) with a turbo youll need a b series tranny and 94+ integra axels
make sure the ecu you get is obd1 alond with the distributor and injectors

if its a dx or lx sedan you more then likely have the pm5. if its an ex, you have the pm6.

build and swap in an LS for all motor fun.

couldnt tell you what computer you have without an engine code. Honda had a lot of D15s in the early 90s some ranging from 62HP to 102 HP. If you can give an engine code or even model (DX, HF, EX), we might be able to help.

HMotorsonline.com would be the best place to look. youll probably want either a B16 a ZC. Both are pretty solid engines.

just buy a stock replacement motor. those old civic 4 doors are horrible platforms for building a project car. just wait until you can afford a better platform that is more compatible with your goals. it will be better in the long run.

Quoted post[/post]]
just buy a stock replacement motor. those old civic 4 doors are horrible platforms for building a project car. just wait until you can afford a better platform that is more compatible with your goals. it will be better in the long run.
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

honda tuning in aug. of 03 did an article on a 10 second street driven car. not sure on the details of the car, but at any rate, your statement is false.

building a sedan (88-91) is just like building the hb (88-91) everything you do between the two, is the same. mounts, wiring all of it.

not to mention...

http://ef-honda.com/ben the owner of this little site, has 2 sedans.

4 door efs are nice platforms to build. especialy for sleepers

hey swap in an crx si engine d16 or one compatible to your car but vtec. A b18 from an Integra GS would also be nice but hey what do i know. One thing is for sure you have many options just dont replace it with the same engine. Sedans look pimp w/ 17's

The reason for building the sedan is because you do not see alot of them HOPPED UP. I am a drag racer and I want to make this one mean sleeper.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

honda tuning in aug. of 03 did an article on a 10 second street driven car. not sure on the details of the car, but at any rate, your statement is false.

building a sedan (88-91) is just like building the hb (88-91) everything you do between the two, is the same. mounts, wiring all of it.

not to mention...

http://ef-honda.com/ben the owner of this little site, has 2 sedans.

do you think that a guy that has never built a honda before has the knowledge, funds, and ability to build a car like that. i saw that magazine article and read it also. it's just not feasible for an everyday kind of guy.

Quoted post[/post]]
The reason for building the sedan is because you do not see alot of them HOPPED UP. I am a drag racer and I want to make this one mean sleeper.

A)you didn't say sleeper. B)WTF is "HOPPED UP" C) you didn't say anything about drag racing. if you want to do that slap in an H22, turbo it and call it a day.

You never said anything about your budget, time frame, skills with cars, anything like that.

well, you said straight up that the sedans are shit, and should be shyed away from.

you can put any engine into a sedan that you can install into any civic hatch or CRX. they are the same. all the same shit is required to build and swap the engines.

that ef-honda site i mentioned, he has nothing but sedans. so, they arent shit.

I picked up a 91 civic si hatch 1.6L engine from and auction in Aug last year. I use it as a daily driver around town' lots of pep and great on gas. It won't win the indy 500 any time soon, but it has more than enough power for me. I think is has the d16x engine. The engine has 150,000 miles on it but runs like new.

The only thing i don't like about it is the standard steering. Had a few problems but sorted them out.

New alternator
New exhaust
Brakes, rotors
Plugs, wires, cap & Rotor
Tires

Come spring i'll bring it in and do some body work, paint job and install a new clutch. I was told that i could get 200K more if i took care of the engine and don't drive the snot out of it.

Did you ever see a 240lb man sit in a little Honda civic? :huh: Takes some getting used to getting in and out, but i love the car. :mrgreen:

Chet.

Back