what tranny for a turboed h22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

-94-AccordH22

hi all.

what would be a better 5 spd for a turboed h22.
accord or prelude tranny. both will have lsd.
i heard that the accord has the longer gear span
what would be a better combo for the h22.

I sayH22 trany
It has shorter gears which is what you want for the 1/4 mile
and I've only hit 120 with mine in fifth and it still had a few grand to go

You'll want a longer-geared tranny. The H23 tranny would be a good choice. I'm not sure if any minor fab'ing needs to be done to get an F22 tranny to an H-series block. The H22 tranny would not be an ideal choice, as it's geared for N/A application.

thanks alot everyone. i agree with doch vtec. im going for turbo so the longer the gearing the better.
as far as i know the f's and h's are interchangable.

thanks guys

NO, everyone needs to stop that thinking.

Longer gearing = better gas mileage and higher top speed.

There is no advantage unless you have a 983 hp motor, which I highly doubt you do

Shorter gearing - quicker acceleration, lower top speed, crappy gas mileage.

You will regret picking a longer geared tranny unless you're looking for good gas mileage.

Really?

Also, in a turbo car, boost vs. rpm is a transient event, so with a 5-speed, you really have five different torque curves to design for. By gearing the car steeper (4.11, 4.56, etc), engine rpm grows faster than boost can keep up if you will, so in a rpm-sense, this is slowing down boost response. Add on top of this the fact that the effective mass of the rotating group of the engine goes up with gear ratio squared. So there are two downsides to more gear, while the obvious up-side is the increase in torque multiplication (which is why people do it in the first place). This is definitely a juggling act, and turbo cars for this reason tend to do better than expected with slightly taller gears because they have two downsides fighting the up-side, not just one vs. one when you’re normally aspirated.
(from http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/42798/)

However, this obviously shouldn't be construed as "taller = better, no matter what". Check this out:

http://www.spdusa.com/new_page_5.htm

There are two reasons why you might want longer gears. First, turbo cars (especially front-wheel drive) can have a tendency to lose traction in lower gears. Having a longer gear ratio will combat this. Second, power transferred to the ground in lower gears is greater than power transferred in higher gears, so one might rationalize you'd want to stay in lower gears slightly longer.

This translates (IMO) wanting longer 1st and 2nd gears and short 4th and 5th gears, with 3rd being a tossup.

Anyway in this case the shorter geared trans would be better for acceleration/racing. During street driving, don't get on it and there won't be traction issues. At the track get some slicks and you WILL be faster with the shorter geared trans.

Let's compare a gsr trans to an LS. Obviously both with slicks, same driver, same motor, same track, same weather condition and same car. I can guarentee the gsr will come out on top at the track, auto-x or drag.

Oh and yes, if he was going to make a hybrid trans a longer 1st and second would make for a better trans, but if this isn't an option the shorter geared would be the faster.

Quoted post[/post]]
Anyway in this case the shorter geared trans would be better for acceleration/racing. During street driving, don't get on it and there won't be traction issues. At the track get some slicks and you WILL be faster with the shorter geared trans.

Let's compare a gsr trans to an LS. Obviously both with slicks, same driver, same motor, same track, same weather condition and same car. I can guarentee the gsr will come out on top at the track, auto-x or drag.

Oh and yes, if he was going to make a hybrid trans a longer 1st and second would make for a better trans, but if this isn't an option the shorter geared would be the faster.

I agree with you Bryan shorter gears for you mang, go with the H22 tranny.

:werd: short gears are always best for acceleration unless your turbo is so stupid huge it doesn't make boost until 5500rpm.

and then shorter would still be better...

Only because, say you have an LS trans, it would drop you out of boost and vtec, everytime you shift.

ok.
well im gunna get on it on the streets. thats just what i get for having a turbo and some kid talking crap revving.
but i mean i kinda want the best combo for about a 10-13 psi turbo. track, street, auto x, w/e
o, also this tranny will be lsd'd if they changes anything?

thanks

Quoted post[/post]]
and then shorter would still be better...

Only because, say you have an LS trans, it would drop you out of boost and vtec, everytime you shift.

I have an Auto H22, longer geared than any of them, and I can tell you that I don't fall out of VTEC.

Also, revs aren't good for a turbo motor. Higher rpms are meant for NA applications. I wouldn't go past redline with a turbo application.

I'm with dohcvtec_accord.(Chris)

Everyone has there preferences. But Sampson Simpson I stick to My story. And I still say That the H22 tranny will work well for you even running 12 psi or whatever you said.

Does anyone happen to know the gear ratios of the h22 vs. f22 trannys?

Quoted post[/post]]
Everyone has there preferences. But Sampson Simpson I stick to My story. And I still say That the H22 tranny will work well for you even running 12 psi or whatever you said.
Also consider this you say you will be getting on it on the street. Any asshole with a foot can step on a gas pedal. But if you really know how to drive you can make the most of the shorter geared tranny.
And please
Anyone with a long geared tranny-I'm not talking shit or saying you can't drive so no dramma please

No drama needed.

Ask any turbo supplier where the engine should make it's power. Read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.
Hell, I'll sell it to you, since I've read it cover to cover.

The pressure on the pistons and rods is about 20% more with twice the horsepower. However, take the engine into higher rpms, and the pressure goes crazy. Turbo motors were made to make power from 2k-6k in most cases. If you want to run 8k turbo, then you better have the motor work to back it up, period.

I'm not a know it all in this area. I just know what I read about con-rod forces(side pressure on the rod).

As soon as I left that last post I went to references and there are specs for h22 tranny but not f22. Any one know f22 specs. Now I'm just curious

grr...didnt i post that a while back (gear ratios)...lemmie find em

1st gear 3.307----> all 90-97 accords and all 92-95 prelude

2nd gear 1.809----> all 90-97 accord and 92-95 prelude s

1.857----> 92-95 prelude si

1.950----> 93-95 prelude vtec

3rd gear 1.185----> 90-97 accord LX

1.230----> 90-97 accord EX and 92-95 prelude s

1.320----> 92-95 prelude si

1.360----> 93-95 prelude vtec

4th gear .870----> 90-97 accord LX

.903----> 90-93 accord EX and 92-95 prelude s

.933----> 94-97 accord EX

1.034----> 92-95 prelude si

1.071----> 93-95 prelude vtec

5th gear .685----> 90-97 accord LX

.705----> 90-97 accord EX and 92-95 prelude s

.812----> 92-95 prelude si

.870----> 93-95 prelude vtec

final drive ratio

4.062 90-97 accord 2 dr and 4 dr

4.266 91-97 accord wagon

4.062 prelude s

4.266 prelude si and vtec

totally stole this from honda society

I found another cool one in that post:
http://www.accordinglydone.com/data/transmissions.php

thanks alot for your input guys.
yea i am probably just doin a 2k to 6k setup at like 12 or 13 with internals.
im sticking with dohc longer gears is prob what i want so that the turbo stays spooled longer b4 i have to shift.

hey all again.
noone answered my question in the other forum so i might as well ask it here.

how hard would it be to put an LSD kit into an exsisting tranny. if not hard what are the steps and things i would need to do this?

thanks again

Back