What would you rather crash into a wall?

What would you rather crash into a wall?

• A 5 Star Rated Car w/o Airbags

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • A 1 Star Rated Car with Airbags

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the case of the Civics, the OBD2 cars are actually different. I mean, they even look different. OBD2 directly has nothing to do with it but rather the chassis change. For instance, if you use the Integra, the OBD point is moot because they retained the same chassis/design from 94-01; making them available in both OBD1 and OBD2.

hahaha. so funny... No, the reason why "emissions" and "safety" are related is because I had started an infamous thread discussing making a '92-'95 civic safer because it was OBD-I and I wanted an OBD-I car and couldn't figure out why the '96-'00 was "substantially safer" despite not being all that different. I didn't want the '96-'00 because it is OBD-II but now I've realized, that maybe I'll just have a conversion harness so that when I need to do smog, I'll use the OBD-II ECU but otherwise for everything else, I'll be using the OBD-I ECU, therefore somewhat resolving the "safety" issue.

come on, its a Civic... if you get in an accident in either its gonna crumple up

part of the IHSA star rating system is the airbags. If you disable airbags in a 5-star car, it's no longer a 5-star rated car.
That's not what he said. I bet an old Chevelle would take a wall hit better than a new Civic.

lolwut.jpg

hahaha. so funny... No, the reason why "emissions" and "safety" are related is because I had started an infamous thread discussing making a '92-'95 civic safer because it was OBD-I and I wanted an OBD-I car and couldn't figure out why the '96-'00 was "substantially safer" despite not being all that different. I didn't want the '96-'00 because it is OBD-II but now I've realized, that maybe I'll just have a conversion harness so that when I need to do smog, I'll use the OBD-II ECU but otherwise for everything else, I'll be using the OBD-I ECU, therefore somewhat resolving the "safety" issue.

I'm generally pretty fucking stupid with the specifics of cars and OBD conversions, but you seriously take the cake. You're trying to mingle emissions and the standards of OBD and relate them to crash test and safety ratings?

You make my head hurt.

I'm generally pretty fucking stupid with the specifics of cars and OBD conversions, but you seriously take the cake. You're trying to mingle emissions and the standards of OBD and relate them to crash test and safety ratings?

You make my head hurt.

Answer to this post is this post:
In the case of the Civics, the OBD2 cars are actually different. I mean, they even look different. OBD2 directly has nothing to do with it but rather the chassis change. For instance, if you use the Integra, the OBD point is moot because they retained the same chassis/design from 94-01; making them available in both OBD1 and OBD2.

Which conveniently was posted in this very thread!

Even with K2s post, OBD level STILL has nothing to do with the safety ratings.

Safety ratings have to do with how well the body can absorb the impact in the crumple zones (hood, fenders, bumper, trunk areas) and keep the forces from the impact from reaching the passengers in the passenger compartment.

OBD is about diagnosing problems with the engine/other electronic components of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back