Whats Better

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

what is a better style of rotor: drilled - slotted - or both cross drilled and slotted rotors.
and what are the best companies that make them?

porsches have cross drilled from the factory if thats an indicator and they have one of the best braking cars on the market. they dont have to be aem any decent brand will work fine

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Apr 20 2003, 04:31 PM
porsches have cross drilled from the factory if thats an indicator and they have one of the best braking cars on the market. they dont have to be aem any decent brand will work fine

wrizong.

For hondas, your car isn't going to generate enough heat breaking to justify getting drilled/slotted rotors. Your going to want blank rotors for a light car like a honda

what are you talking about, they help disapate heat which your rotors will create on any vehicle

s3ea31d0ca393d.jpg

couldnt resist

One thing to keep in mind: While crossdrilled/vented rotors help cool down quicker because of the increase of surface area they do have a problem too. In states that have road salt in the winter you will see more buildup of rust on those rotors than simple blank rotors.

But as long as you are willing to look at the rust, get them!

no... your still wrong. Last time I checked motor cycles had 2 brakes. Cars have 4. that makes a difference.

Do you understand that slotted/drilled rotors take away from the stopping power when they are cool? Those rotors have less surface area than the blank rotors. Also, do you understand that in street situtaions, you will NEVER produce enough heat to warp/melt an aftermarket blank rotor. What are you, running fucking f1 in your honda? I don't think so. And unless your cruising around at 150 mph and riding the brakes down to 30, I don't think you have a leg to stand on with your argument. Oh and have fun when your using your honda as a grocery getter and your superior drilled rotors fill up with sand and shit from the road. They will be a ton useful then. All drilled rotors are for street hondas is rice. Bottom line. And as for "BUT KEVIN, PORSCHES HAVE THEM." You don't drive a porsche. You don't drive an exotic sports car that goes 200mph. You drive a honda. Get back in touch with reality.

So nice try hoping on me
You lose. Never use an owned image on me.

i got my brakes from coletti motorsports .... they actually race road course with ITRs
they also sell all sorts of brake components
guess what they use in their race cars......................................
brembo blanks
the blanks have more surface area therefore have more friction
if your worried about brake fade, get good pads and good brake fluid
if your worried about warping rotors, torque everything down correctly and let the brakes cool properly after hard braking..... dont just stop after hard braking, drive around for at least a min using as little of the brakes as possible (no brakes if you can).... dont just stop and pull the E-brake up ... this causes hot spots where the callipers are and WILL warp the brakes.... drivind for about a minute is isually good enough to cool the brakes down to a point where they will not warp.... you will not warp them while actually braking

the only advantage to cross drilled is that they weigh less (and look cool)
the only advantage to slotted is they look cool and will shave the glaze off shitty pads (and look cool)

i have used my car in road course events, autoX events and for very "spirited" driving and i have yet to warp a rotor

get good shit and take care of it properly and you will have no problems

:werd:
Yeah in chris tucker's words, "You got knocked....the fuck out!"

s3ea31d0ca393d.jpg

i agree with those who said blanks. surface area owns joo! the slotted and cross-drilled rotors are really for autocross, where you are gonna be running your brakes long and hard while trying to stay on the track.

i have never had any problems with drilled rotors or slotted rotors. and just because you drive a porsche doesnt mean you drive around at 150 mph all the time, people drive them normal all the time so i guess they have shitty brakes then right. your point about people racing their itr's with blanks is probably because there are rules in scca and any road race events depending on class that they are racing.
Do you understand that slotted/drilled rotors take away from the stopping power when they are cool?
prove this to me. i'll use an owned picture on you anytime i want and if i saw you in person i would own you then you too. most real race cars use drilled or slotted rotors, if you drive hard through any set of corners anywhere on stockers you will have fade and if you drive spirited everyday then i would upgrade to a slotted or drilled rotor. have you ever driven a porsche? do you know anyone with one? i do and yes i have driven one brakes felt damn good to me and they werent hot they were as cold as ice.

look
i race
i know people who race
i do side work for a german car specialty shop, and guess what.... a lot of the customers race porsches
most of them use blanks
not because they cant run slots or drilled
because they work better
and i also drive 911Ts on a semi regular basis (badass cars)

slots are virtually worthless if you are running GOOD PADS
cross drilling only reduces the weight of the rotor... it dosent do much for reducing heat (thats why the rotors are vented)
cross drilling also does reduce the surface area.... sorry but its true.... with holes all over the place there is less surface to create friction on.... friction is what stops you.... then why do stock 911s with cross drilled rotors stop so well you ask????? maybe its the fact that they have 13 inch rotors and 4 piston calipers all around on a 3400lb car

yes stock brakes suck ass
this is why i said get good rotors, get good pads, and get a high temp fluid
there is a HUGE fucking difference between brembo blanks, hawk pads (HP+ or better) or another high performance pad, and ATE blue brake fluid or some other high temp fluid... and the stock bullshit

and there generally are not restrictions on the type of brakes you use (unless you are talking ceramic or CF rotors) only restrictions i have seen are on the size (big brake swaps etc will change your class)

walking around the pits at rolex in daytona i noticed they were all using slotted and drilled rotors no blanks to be found there, i guess they are just for looks right.

those are not even remotly related to street cars
your talking about full out race cars where every pound counts
most of them are running 4-6 piston calipers on 15"+ rotors....
thats some serious weight, so you see them using cross drilled rotors to reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass as much as possible wherever possible

Back