What's the real deal with Hondata and the P13?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
OBD1 P13 for H22A automatic. I have heard that Hondata won't work on the P13. I'd like to know. I think Hondata and some tuning would compliment my swap nicely.

Also, I have a couple choices to make.
  • Turbo on stock internals. <7 psi, budget setup, but not TOO cheap. Yes I read all those pages on the intercooler scandal.
  • NA. Stock internals. Maybe valve springs, retainers, cams, gears, hondata, tuning.
  • or Leave it alone. It's my daily driver, mostly city driving, and the track is over 2 hours away.
As always, your thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated. I read a lot, and understand several complicated concepts, but I know many of you would crush my car knowledge. So don't treat me like a dumbass, but give me some info. Thanks. :spin:

So I've heard.......Is there a good reason?

Also, your suggestions on the other stuff?

P13 fuel maps are simply not modifiable.... At least not to the point where tuning becomes an option. You can change the numbers in hex, but no one can generate the formula that shows WHAT you're changing. so, even though TECHNICALLY you can put a hondata on a p13 (ie, its chip-able), its like trying to find waldo with your eyes closed, even with the software. The processor in the p13 is actualyl kinda similar to the k-series ecu's. while there is a hondata system for the k-series, changing to a p28 or p72 is easy as pie and makes for even bothering with trying to figure it out, worthless.

as for your other questions...

* Turbo on stock internals. <7 psi, budget setup, but not TOO cheap. Yes I read all those pages on the intercooler scandal.
* NA. Stock internals. Maybe valve springs, retainers, cams, gears, hondata, tuning.
* or Leave it alone. It's my daily driver, mostly city driving, and the track is over 2 hours away.

IMO, the h-series is a horrible candidate for boost. If it were my motor, i'd go N/A with it.
do some head work, cams, i/h/e, tune it, and just have a fun, reliable daily driver.

Hmmm... The P13 is very tunable, despite popular opinion... and it's similar to the rest of the OBD1 processors, nothing like the k-series... Hondata obviously didn't want to put time and effort into this small market and slightly different code base when you could just run H22s etc off of a P28/P30/P72 family ECU... Simply stated, they probably didn't see enough dollar signs in working with the P13 family ECUs...

And I'm reasonably confident that HardLowrdRanger figured out the formulas involved.
I know that there is a H22 floating aroung with a P13 with launch control, done by the same.

I don't think that there is any boost support for the P13 yet. Correct me if wrong.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 14 2004, 08:09 PM

IMO, the h-series is a horrible candidate for boost. If it were my motor, i'd go N/A with it.
do some head work, cams, i/h/e, tune it, and just have a fun, reliable daily driver.

and why is this?

Back