wheel-hop

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

whenever my tires lose traction, or when i go over a bump and my wheels spin a little bit, my car hops. What is that from? is that the flywheel or axles or what?

wheel hop is just the nature of the beast.

I'll bet this most likely happens when you've released the clutch at a high rpm.

there's not much you can do about it, only thing I know of are Z10 radius rods that can help minimize this.

isn't it caused when the struts are too soft to absorb and dampen the bouncing of the springs?

it's a combination of a lot of things.

Causes of wheel hop:

shitty roads
shitty tires
shitty suspension
shitty bushings
shitty engine mounts
lack of jim fab/ full race/ z10 traction bars
shitty driving

it happens a lot, maybe its because of my shitty coilovers i have wiht my stock struts :unsure:

i have a brand new clutch, im buying new axels, and if need be ill re-do my suspension.

I do, however, have the camber adjustment kit so that is all ok, i thought thats what was causing it but it still does it

Does it do it under normal driving? Wheel hop is your tires breaking and getting traction rapidly over and over cause the suspension components to move up and down rapidly these causes the "hop". It is pretty bad for your drive train. Even shitty suspension shouldn't do that under NORMAL driving.

The control arms on Hondas also like to flex forward and backward... that's what causes lots of wheel hop, and that's what traction bar sets like Z10/Jimfab/Totem/Full-Race are designed to minimze.

Yup, replace dead shocks, check bushings... get a traction bar setup if you have the problem during hard launches.

Hey 92 b16vx... "Wheel hop is your tires breaking and getting traction rapidly over and over cause the suspension components to move up and down" Its the other way around. The suspension is weak enough to flex either forward or backward enough to allow the wheel to travel up on a slant instead of putting the power on the ground. Causing the wheel to hop.

yeah, ifigured it had something to do with my car being lowered, so i got the camber adjustment kit and got it re-aligned. i guess i shouldnt have gone with the cheap coilovers, and gotten a spring and strut pagage, cause mine are prolly shot by now.

Before I got my tokico struts, I had mad wheel hop when launching or driving hard in general because I used my stock shocks with skunk2 coilovers. As soon as I got the new shocks it stopped.

not that ur a bad driver...but that might be part of it....when i first got my GSR it took me a while to launch it good with out gettin wheel hop....its annoying..but funny to watch other peoples cars do it at the track

You sure it's not your "shitty" coilovers knocking.... which they probably do....

I post shitty tires, with goose eggs on the inner walls........

the tires i have on probably have a lot to do with it, but i had someone look at the car and the wheels are def. hopping.
im replacing my suspension set up with a spring and shock kit from tokico.

I have tein springs-tokico illumina shocks-energy bushings- I still get wheel hop. my tires are pirelli p6000's. I found that it does it only on really dry streets(certain kinds of asphalt) when my tires are dry.
if the street has the tar/rock coating I spin nice- no hop
if the street has like more tar base I get hop
if the street has been worn alot I dont get wheel hop.
concrete spins nicely but vibrates alot.(texture of cement I guess)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 11 2004, 11:16 AM
it's a combination of a lot of things.

Causes of wheel hop:

shitty roads
shitty tires
shitty suspension
shitty bushings
shitty engine mounts
lack of jim fab/ full race/ z10 traction bars
shitty driving

so, if ur car is shitty, you = wheelhop.

A bigger tire will help minimize wheel hop, as will a good set of perf. struts.

Back