Where do the engines come from??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well, i dont know any "cool" kids so thats not why im not considering it. I read everywhere that it is not a good swap and its too much work.. and its front heavy. Why would it be cheaper?

Originally posted by amc5@Mar 9 2005, 06:18 PM
well, i dont know any "cool" kids so thats not why im not considering it. I read everywhere that it is not a good swap and its too much work.. and its front heavy. Why would it be cheaper?
[post=471427]Quoted post[/post]​

Because

A: it's a harder swap,
B: it's heavier
C: Less demand (that's probably the biggie)
D: More availability (due to less demend)

That, and the fact you need a balancing shaft to keep the motor from vibrating to death. And the cylinders cannot be bored without sleeving. It's just a more complex engine most people don't want to worry about, so suppliers can't get as much money for them. The motor itself isn't that bad. Also, the H-series trannies suck. It's like shifting an accord.

That's bull about driving between 5-8k in rpms while driving in a b16 powered car. I love driving my coupe because its way easy to drive around town and when I step on it it has plenty of pep. Useable power? I never really understood that concept. That term would apply to a full blown high hp race car that is driven on the stret and on short courses. then the power would be unusable. On a b16 powered car, that term is :ghey:

i swapped a b16a2 into my 93 sol and im lovin it! and its still stock, mani's and everything. i still got my lightened flywheel sittin here in my room next to my comp. thats goin on next! its a blast man, no super sport drag racer, but definetly reminds me of a go kart, especially with my suspension set up.

stiff susp.
strut tower braces front and back.
b16a2 engine

=
a fun little car to drive around. :)

Originally posted by DelSlo@Mar 10 2005, 06:39 AM
i swapped a b16a2 into my 93 sol and im lovin it! and its still stock, mani's and everything. i still got my lightened flywheel sittin here in my room next to my comp. thats goin on next! its a blast man, no super sport drag racer, but definetly reminds me of a go kart, especially with my suspension set up.

stiff susp.
strut tower braces front and back.
b16a2 engine

=
a fun little car to drive around. :)
[post=471529]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: :withstupid:

B16A is a good motor for a daily, below vtec it's great around town, and when you open it up it pulls nice. For the price, it's great, but I'd rather spend the extra and get the 1.8 either GSR or ITR though.

Well thats good about the b16. I am not wanting an all out drag car. Something that can get me in the 14s and piss off these mustangs around my town :D
Wonder if it would be worth opting for the LSD on the b16?? What would have to be put on the b16 to get the tourqe up to the GSRs? If you havent noticed, im leaning towards the b16 due to the price. Cause my car is stock and there is other things to get I/H/E wheels etc.

Well, don't expect to be stomping V8 Mustangs with a B16A :)

To get torque from a B16A, ahhh the eternal question. I got some from cams (about 6 lbs-ft), but raising the displacment, and compression are about the only ways to get good torque from it. Or boost.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 11 2005, 02:40 PM
Well, don't expect to be stomping V8 Mustangs with a B16A :)

[post=472305]Quoted post[/post]​

V8 Mustangs have never been an issue with my B16A hatch....unless they have a few grand worth of work done to them :)

AMC5-

I have had both a B18C1 (got stolen), and now a JDM B16A SiRII in my 93 hatch and I've said it before a million times, I truly couldn't tell the diffrence between the two in stock form. After VTEC, both cars were Identical (except the B16A kept going to 8200, unlike the GSR).
I've always said the the B16A is a totally underrated engine. Considering your car is lighter than your friends 2000 SI, and the JDM SiRII is a tad faster than the USDM B16A2, Your car will be faster than his. So if you think that your friends SI hauls ass, then the rest explains itself.
Considering your budget, IMO, the JDM B16A SiRII is your only choice. And the LSD is definately an option you'll want......without it, you will be doing one-wheel burn outs.
R

Back