where is the vin number located on a b series motor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vinhisbored

sorry. i've had no luck finding the vin on the block thus far.. i tried searching too, but the search takes out "vin"

i havn't been around hondas for that long.. i've had a 240 for 3 years and got a friend's car with a b16 in it. i'm just trying to find the vin so i can have it car faxed but i can't seem to find it.

it's obvious that the vin on the tranny is right there, but i can't find the vin on the block.. can anyone steer me towards the right direction.. and is it hard to get to/do i have to get under the car to find it?

The engine code, not necessarily a VIN number is located at the top of the block below the head gasket. (If you're looking at the motor in the engine bay, it'll be on the left side) The code is usually followed by a 7 digit serial number below the engine code. The code should have a B16A, B16A2 or something similar. In any case the car VIN number should be visible in the lower right corner of the windshield

What is the make and model of the car? was the motor swapped ??

^ yeah, i know that the engine code is located on the block/under the head (somewhat near the vin of the tranny)

and yes, i found that 7 digit code.. but i do know that that is not the actual vin # itself.

i am also aware that the vin # of the car is located at that area where the windshield is, but it is not the original motor.

my car's a 2000 hatchback with a b16a2 swapped into it matted with a usdm type r tranny.

i know that both of these are legit, but i just want the vin #'s checked out so that i could have some form of paperwork if i happen to get pulled over to prove that they are legit and not stolen.

*also, if anyone can lead me in the right direction about getting that paperwork to prove legitimacy as well, that would be great.

go get the motor BAR'd and if it passed the ref inspection you're good to go

There is no "vin" on honda motors.

Only a motor serial number, as described above. All you need to do is call the police department and run the number with the theft recovery department. They'll be able to tell you whether it was stolen or not. Note, I said "Call". Don't drive up there and get car-jacked by the po-po's.

If you want to take it a step further, stop by a honda dealership and have them run the motor number.. they can tell you the vin number of the car it came out of, so when you call the police, you can say "the vin number of the car is blahblahblah, the serial from the motor is blahblahblah". Then they can check it both ways and clear you.

thank you so much for everyone's response. you've guys have been very helpful.

and someone explain to me about getting it bar'd? i've always heard of the term.. had an idea about it, but never really understood what it really meant/stood for. also, what's the process about getting it?

Bar'd , I'd assume that this is in reference to California emissions/tech inspection.

yessir. i'm located in southern california, and there have been many cases of my friends / friend's of friends getting sent to the ref/having their car impounded/etc.

plus, my car is pretty 'noticeable', so i want to be ready if/when i get pulled over for the first time in this car.

call this # (800) 622-7733 make an appointment to see the ref about an engine change.. they'll inspect it for $30 and tell you what needs to be changed in order for it to be legal.. they'll also smog the car there.. if you pass everything, which isnt very likely you pay another $8.50 for smog certificate and you're smog legal.. if you fail, you get a free retest and inspection.. so before you go back, fix what it is that they tell you to fix and schedule another appointment.. i BAR'd a JDM b16 which some people didnt think you could do.. well, you can.. so if its a JDM motor, no worries..

seeing that you have a b16a2 in a 2000 hatch.. its should be very, very simple to pass.. its a USDM motor and they offered it the year your car is..

Back