which cams to go with on stock b16a2?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDM_EK9R

all motor
I am looking to put cams in my b16a2 motor. Im sure ill use a thin head gasket to get a little more compression out of it but my question is: which cams will make the most power on my stock b16a2? i was thinking of using itr or ctr cams but I heard you can make more whp with aftermarket cams like skunk2 stage II's. Anyone have experience with cams in b16a2 and maybe dyno pulls?

Depend on your horsepower goals. All the cam you mention are good cams. I'll say the skunk3 if money is not an issue. But don't forget about some spring and retainer too.

If you are going to pull the head to change the head gasket you might as well raise compression the right way and get some higher comp pistons. This is your chance to also get some some port work done to the head.

Yes I know going to a thinner gasket would be more cost effective but at the same time IMO there is no gasket out there that will raise your comp enough to take full advantage of any companies Stage 2 cams.

You can run ITR, CTR, and the Skunk2 Stage 1 cams (not sure about the new pro-series cams, they might have a bigger lift than the original Skunk2 Stage 1's) using your stock springs and retainers as long as you keep the stock redline of 8200. I'd suggest going with some after-market springs and retainers regardless of what cams you go with so you can rev the cams out to where they make peak power.

I'd run all ITR stuff in the head, except using CTR exhaust valve springs.

Would recommend using "stage" cams without any port work. At least not higher stage ones. Maybe some ProSeries stuff from Skunk2 will work for ya, but I'm pretty sure most of that needs a machine shop.

ive seen good results with the BC3+'s in B16's. i cant recall if they need aftermarket valvetrain though. skunk2 stage1's are also a good option, they are tad more aggressive then the CTR's and can be used with the type r valvetrain.

I read somewhere about the CTR exhaust side valvesprings being superior to ITR pieces and had info to back it up. I'll find this and post it. That's the only reason I recommended outside of ITR parts, minus aftermarket.

Intake maybe, since the intake cam is more aggressive, but it wouldn't make sense for the B16B to have stiffer exhaust springs if the profiles are the same.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm sure it was the exhaust and not the intake. But, you may be right. I'll find that article...

Here's the quote from it, haven't read it in a few years...:

"When installing these cams on a non-Type R VTEC B-series engine, you should install the appropriate Type R intake valve springs on the exhaust side of the head. U.S. market B engines--with the exception of the Type R--only have dual springs on the intake valve. The dual exhaust valve spring is important to help handle the extra valvetrain velocity that the much higher lift Type R exhaust cam has. The regular B-series dual intake valve spring set-up can be run with the Type R cams because they are actually stiffer than the Type R intakes. This is because the Type R valves are lighter than the regular B-series valves."

Back