Which ECU for LS/Vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I'm getting a B18 LS motor, which I plan to put a B16 head on... Eventually when I get enough money... So until then, which ECU should I use? (The motor does not come with stock ECU) Thanks for your time and help. :spin:

dont build Ls vtec. a guy at the local track was running 15.3's on his LS/Vtec what was built. all internals done, blueprinted and balanced, i/h/e, msd, hondata, cams springs retainers. the only problem was it was an LS tranny. but shit, thats worse than my LS in a crx, and im running high 14's. If honda didnt make a ls/vtec it probably wasnt ment to be.

If built properly with good parts internally then the LS vtec is fine, it's when people take the cheap route to build it and literally just slap shit together, and don't block off with the proper hardware.

Chances are that kid was a shitty driven or maybe he was running it for the first time ever.

I ran two different b16s in my eg and like my sig says there was a huge difference in both, i used completey different components on the second project and with slicks netted a full second lower et. BUT, the first time I ever took the first project out to the 1320 I started with runnin a 14.7 and eventually hit 14.3 at the end of the night, with the more powerful second motor my very first time to the track I hit a fucking 15.7 with a 3.5 60ft time, and that motor I eventually got to run 13.3 with slicks.

So it just goes to show you that yes it takes time to learn how to properly drive your car and learn how to drive properly.

Milan

Will the P30/P28 still run the LS motor before I Vtec it? I don't want to have to buy 2 ECU's...

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Aug 31 2003, 01:17 PM
dont build Ls vtec. a guy at the local track was running 15.3's on his LS/Vtec what was built. all internals done, blueprinted and balanced, i/h/e, msd, hondata, cams springs retainers. the only problem was it was an LS tranny. but shit, thats worse than my LS in a crx, and im running high 14's. If honda didnt make a ls/vtec it probably wasnt ment to be.

Any time that you want to stop spreading this bullshit is fine. THe more you spout the more you affirm that you are indeed a stupid n00b.

If you are running a Honda ECU with no tuning device or the ECU + a VAFC start with the P72.

Thanks lsvtec, its good to hear from someone that has actually done the swap... Thanks again. P72 it is. :worthy:

ok ive had 3 ls vtecs over the past 1 1/2 years and i always sent
my computer to Hondata to get chipped...But recently i had a friend the but a chip burner and we decided to try it on my old crappy ls computer...we burned a Mugen chip made for a p28 and installed it on my car....with the aid of a nitrous arming switch to activate vtec...i was very suprised at the outcome...the p28 chip pulled harder and faster then the Hondata comp. But i wouldnt recomend running a stock vtyec computer on an ls/vtec send the computer out to get chipped and youll definatly notice the results

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

94 del sol ls vtec
standing et 13.68 @ 101 with nitrous

Will it be alright to run a Vtec ECU on a non-vtec motor? Just not having the vtec wires hooked up until I get the B16 head? Help! :idea:

Um, no. If you don't hook up the VTEC solenoid you are going to get a CEL. And the ECU will go into limp mode. You will have a fuel cut earlier than the LS ECU and more than likely you will see diminished fuel economy. Don't bother running the VTEC ECU until you have the VTEC head, you won't gain anything.

Back