which ecu?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gooose45

hey guys im doing a b16 swap from a 99si into my 96ex so far i got dc 4-1, skunk2 mani, aftrmrkt intke, and skunk2 exhst. i know i need to go obd1 and got the convr. harness. now, which ecu should i go with? p28 or p30? chipped? what program is best? not really planning on going turbo or nos maybe internal work latr. also a buddy told me that if im going to go obd1 that i need to change to an obd1 distributor, is this true? please help, planning on doing the swap in 2-3weeks

A 96 ex is obd2 you have an obd2 motor use an obd2 ecu. Unless you want to change to obd1 for tuning. You don't need an obd1 distributor with a conversion harness.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Sep 14 2005, 05:32 AM
A 96 ex is obd2 you have an obd2 motor use an obd2 ecu. Unless you want to change to obd1 for tuning. You don't need an obd1 distributor with a conversion harness.
[post=554204]Quoted post[/post]​

ok great, so which should i go with p28 or p30? dont know much about the pr3, but i do want to buy a ecu that is already chipped.

if its chipped, don't bother with a p30. get the p28.

i have a bin for a similar setup if you want a chip for it, pm me. vtecin5th can vouch for the program in his b16

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 14 2005, 07:41 PM
if its chipped, don't bother with a p30. get the p28.

i have a bin for a similar setup if you want a chip for it, pm me. vtecin5th can vouch for the program in his b16
[post=554719]Quoted post[/post]​

i just bought a p28 on ebay does anyone know where i can get it socketed in the southern cali area????

10.Vernon Brunges @ RaVer Motorsports
Visalia, Cali (Central Valley)
Horiba and TechEdge WBO2, Datalogging cables, Romulator, Mac scantool for waveform diagnostics, ChipMax burner, Hakko desoldering station, BluePoint soldering station, access to new local Mustang dyno 3/05, etc
pgmfi pm or (559)733-4711

24. Mike Hamen
ISTS
www.rwdcrx.com
Northridge, Ca (San Fernando Valley, in La County)
Access to DynoJet with affordable rates(Has Wideband o2 reader)
818-468-3518/HardcoreRsxS@aol.com

those are your closest two friendly chippers.
there;s plenty more in other areas.

if you're around SD county, i can chip it for you. i've got the parts. i could show you a couple things and answer any questions you've got too.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Sep 18 2005, 09:56 PM
if you're around SD county, i can chip it for you. i've got the parts. i could show you a couple things and answer any questions you've got too.
[post=556510]Quoted post[/post]​

thanx guys i got ahold of mike hamen and he'll doit, man, he's only bout 5 min. from my pad, anywayz i got the virgen p28 and the obd2-obd1 harness but the 3 plugs that go into the (stock)harness all fit and the 3 plugs from the conversion harness to the ecu only 2 plugs fit, is this right or do i have the wrong ecu or the wrong harness ? can someone confirm this, please? :huh:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 22 2005, 10:02 PM
thats not going to work... 

there's two obd2's.. obd2a and obd2b.

http://hondata.com/techecuid.html
[post=559049]Quoted post[/post]​

wait, the 3 plugs from the conv. harness fit into the p28 but the female end only takes 2 plugs from the stock harness.
then i tried connecting the stock p2t(99si) to the stock harness and only two plugs fitinto that one. whats the deal? is this normal :worthy: sorry for the mix up but disregard the last post it was the other way around.

Back