which head bolts do i use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phou

when building a setup using a GSR bottom end w/a B16 head, which ARP head bolts should i use, i see they have a choice for GSR head bolts and B16 Head bolts, i see they differ in price so they must be different.
Which head bolts do i get? Im assuming I would need to get the Head bolts for a GSR.....

Phou said:
when building a setup using a GSR bottom end w/a B16 head, which ARP head bolts should i use, i see they have a choice for GSR head bolts and B16 Head bolts, i see they differ in price so they must be different.
Which head bolts do i get? Im assuming I would need to get the Head bolts for a GSR.....

whats happens when you assume?

head bolts

keyword "head"

think about that for a minute.

no you need to get the bolts that match the block, so i would go with gsr head bolts. I am doing the same build and posted this question on hondatech and the response was to use gsr bolts not b16 bolts. i guess the gsr are longer bolts

ripperbone said:
no you need to get the bolts that match the block, so i would go with gsr head bolts. I am doing the same build and posted this question on hondatech and the response was to use gsr bolts not b16 bolts. i guess the gsr are longer bolts

i wouldnt be so sure about that. what mm are the b16 bolts? i used gsr bolts with my lsvtec build since i used a gsr head. I took this quote from honda-tech

« Re: What head studs w/ a b16a2 block & GSR head (DonF)« » 2:25 AM 3/19/2006 Reply Edit

Quote, originally posted by DonF »

Hey Don, When I called ARP, they told me its the "head" the dictates which "head stud" to go with. I found it odd. My old build was a b16 bottom end with a gsr head using gsr head studs. Could there be any other factors to take into consideration other then the block height?

if you go with a head stud/bolt thats too long you are going to have problems, i think 1 of the head is physically taller meaning if you got the wrong stud you could bottom out say if the b16 head was close to the block. Call arp and see what they say, they told the guy responding to donf too use head studs that match your head, i did the same with my build.

Last edited:
ripperbone said:
good thing I am going to call arp myself to make sure.

please do and post back, everyone i have ever talked to about this always has said go with the bolts for the head you are using.

every forum i see says 1 thing or another.

the guy installing the head studs in that pic is not following instructions either, hand tight not torqued with a wrench.

wow some of the comments in that thread are well i wont comment.

i also wanted to clarify that these are not bolts, they ares studs which are different than the honda design. this could be why some people get away with installing gsr or b16 studs because you are tightening on nuts which could allow you to have different heights but less threads nutted.

Last edited:
yea i know they are studs and not bolts, but for sure I will let you know what i find out. I am taking my block to the machine shop and I have been looking at the arp head studs but was unsure what ones to and want to be positive, but it does make sense to use the gsr ones cause the type r is the same part number and since the type r uses a pr3 head, but i will be calling arp tomorrow

I take it back the type r head studs are different than the gsr, they are the same as the b16, so arp will be called tomorrow

I dunno what the fuck you guys are talking about, but you CANNOT use B16 head studs/bolts on ANYTHING but a B16 block. A B16 block is SHORTER than a GSR/LS/B20/CTR/ITR block...NOT the head. The heads are the EXACT FUCKING SAME HEIGHT.

I don't give a shit what the ARP rep on the phone says...they answer phones, they don't build motors. You CANNOT use B16 head studs on an LS/VTEC. Period. End of story.

You can piss and whine and argue and post quotes from suckass-tech all day, but that doesn't mean you're right.

To the original poster: use the GSR studs.

Here you go, the 'Honda/Acura' page of the 06 ARP catalogue.

14kitd2.jpg

You need part number 208-4343.

cypher said:
use the headblots that match the head always

You're the same guy that was on houston-imports saying that you regularly build ls/vtec's using b16 timing belts...and you're wrong AGAIN.

WHY would you use the studs that match the head? The major difference is in the BLOCK, not the head...the BLOCK is what they're screwing into, and the studs have to be long enough to thread into the block...

civicious said:
You're the same guy that was on houston-imports saying that you regularly build ls/vtec's using b16 timing belts...and you're wrong AGAIN.

WHY would you use the studs that match the head? The major difference is in the BLOCK, not the head...the BLOCK is what they're screwing into, and the studs have to be long enough to thread into the block...

so let me get this strait. If your doing ls-vtec your supose to use ls head studs? lol
damn i guess my head on my car is gona fall off then. thats crazy stuff

lol i just saw you even said ARP was wrong.

^there ya go all fixed

Last edited:
cypher said:
so let me get this strait. If your doing ls-vtec your supose to use ls head studs? lol

lol i just saw you even said APR was wrong.

ARP dumbass.

Use the B18 bolts. Its the right choice.

cypher said:

lol i just saw you even said APR was wrong.

where did I say that ARP was wrong?

reikoshea said:
ARP dumbass.

Use the B18 bolts. Its the right choice.

LOL u wana quote me for a obvious typeo . leme fix that for ya !

civicious said:
I dunno what the fuck you guys are talking about, but you CANNOT use B16 head studs/bolts on ANYTHING but a B16 block. A B16 block is SHORTER than a GSR/LS/B20/CTR/ITR block...NOT the head. The heads are the EXACT FUCKING SAME HEIGHT.

I don't give a shit what the ARP rep on the phone says...they answer phones, they don't build motors. You CANNOT use B16 head studs on an LS/VTEC. Period. End of story.

You can piss and whine and argue and post quotes from suckass-tech all day, but that doesn't mean you're right.

To the original poster: use the GSR studs.

OK, so where did I say that ARP is wrong? I never saw anywhere in this thread that someone from ARP said one thing or the other...

Also, why did you edit out the part of your post about how you've assembled 2 ls/vtec's this week with B16 timing belts?

civicious said:
OK, so where did I say that ARP is wrong? I never saw anywhere in this thread that someone from ARP said one thing or the other...

Also, why did you edit out the part of your post about how you've assembled 2 ls/vtec's this week with B16 timing belts?

because it has nothing to do with this thread.
get back to throwin your ls head bolts on a ls-vtec swap

What are you talking about? Have you even read any of my posts? Where have I said to use LS head bolts on an ls/vtev swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back