Which Sleeves, Which pistons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Johnnylawless

Ok, I,m Rebuilding my ITR Swap. what Sleeves to use, AEBS or Darton? Going Integrated Deck with it.
Anybody vouch for either company? Also should I bore to 84MM or Go 81.5MM
for more sleeve strength? As I want to push as much PSI as possible.

And was thinking JE Pistons not SRP versions,But open to suggestions.
Any comments there also.

:worthy:
Thanks,JIM

Here is a very informative article on benson sleeves. They are darton sleeves made to benson specs. The good reputation, good customer service, and the quality has convinced me so I would probably go this route if I have my block sleeved. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=565375

I wouldn't use JE or SRP pistons. Something about the high silicone content they have isn't good. I have been looking into getting some CP pistons myself, but I still haven't decided. I have also looked into endyn/wiseco pistons. I would maybe check out arias, ross, etc... I plan on checking into pistons more before I actually purchase any.

your boosting an itr? not many ppl do that but its always good to be different , i heard darton is probably top of the line but havnt had any personal experience my self good luck.

my personal opinion.

AEBS owns. if its good enough for Craig Liebermans R34 then its good enough for any honda. AEBS owns.

and as for Pistons. I say two words ........ IB Spec.

Yeah, something different and The thing is a monster.But you know you always crave more power, so I thought i would "Bulletproof" the block before turning up the boost. I would rather invest a little more money building it up than lose it all!

L8R,Jim

And THANKS to all that have and will reply to this thread

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@May 13 2004, 08:15 PM
my personal opinion.

AEBS owns. if its good enough for Craig Liebermans R34 then its good enough for any honda. AEBS owns.

and as for Pistons. I say two words ........ IB Spec.

well i dont like craig lieberman's r34; its the only skyline i dont like. but i do like kenny tran's civic, which runs a gsr motor(i think) with turbo and methanol fuel. its a beast, and uses many aebs components including t-sleeves. he says with all the power theyre making(around 800hp im guessing) the sleeves never budge.

edit: yes it does have a gsr motor, but makes more than 1000hp, heres link to kenny tran's civic specs: jotech racing

Wow.... just today I watched a buy bring his turbo S2000 to Intercrew because Jotech screwed the turbo install. It was smoking all over the place, and it had just been tuned earlier this week. Go fig....

Kenny Tran = :thumbsup:
Jotech = :thumbsdown:

Sorry for the OT- I couldn't help myself.

As for your sleeves- realistically, most any of the top companies will be fine for a street driven turbo engine. I've seen tons of good results (my own included, but I'm not boosted) with Golden Eagle sleeves. 84mm would be great under boost. If you're going with sleeves and forged pistons, you might as well pick up some displacement too.

i would suggest CP pistons for sure. and for sleeves, RS or GE you can get installed/bore/hone/shipped for around 900. i think that 83mm is the best bore for FI applications. it will leave plenty of sleeve for strength and or if you ever need to bore again. plus it will add a little displacement. also, i think that 83mm pistons are better that 81 because there is more material around the valve relief area.

Check out LA sleeves, they are the same manufacturer for AEBS, and you can choose from a range of materials for the sleeves. They look good, I've seen them installed on a few engines at my machine shop. They are being installed in my b16a for like 850. I too am looking into IB spec pistons, they will probably be my choice when I get the funding. If not IB Spec, then straight up Wisecos for sure.

Originally posted by SpodaB1@May 14 2004, 03:45 AM
Look into IB Spec pistons... "Proven To Make Power"

:werd: I really forgot about Jeff...until now I might grab a set of custom pistons from him instead of Wiseco when I rebuild the b16.

We're kinda working together... here in the midwest there arent a lot of "import shops" or shops that carry anything for Honda/ACura application, im out to change that with IB Spec and Jeff.... great guy...

Thanks Jeff- that makes me feel better about my GE sleeve. :thumbsup:

Here's a picture of the new GE sleeve design. I didn't pull the plastic wrap off because I was lazy and didn't want to pull the block out of the box, but you can clearly see the new strutted sleeve setup (teeth) and the gap in between the cylinders. This is an 84mm bore B block.

s40a63b1c5cc92.jpg

that picture helps illustrate what I am trying to talk about in the article. Look at those sleeves and compare them to open deck sleeves with no upper support for more money.

The value is unbeatable.

Jeff

So what about other closed deck style sleeves like the AEBS?

Back