Whooping like noise when giving my car a lot of gas

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

danielvaughn123

I've recently had a timing issue with my car. I got it fixed but now when I give it gas it wants to make a whooping sound. Could I still be off on my timing? Do I need to adjust the rocker arms? Or do I have something else wrong with my car now? I was told I could be a tooth off on my timing. Is that right?

It's a 91 civic. The motor is a D15B7 with a D15B2 head (PM3). I have a PM6 ecu. It's like it's red lining too soon and it smells like it's burning too much gas.

Last edited:
I would record the sound but it's late and I'm sure my neighbors won't like me running my car right now. So far, everything that has been wrong with my car, I've been able to without having to buy anything for it. I'm hoping to keep it that way because I have no money right now.

16* BTDC?

16 degrees below top dead center

with a timing light, you can dial in 16* and see if its in time.

factory spec is 16 degrees btdc... we are talking about ignition timing, not cam timing. thats a whole different thing. and yes you change it by moving the distributor.

do a search for "setting timing on a honda" or something along those lines, you should be able to find detailed instructions online.

I've loosened the distributor bults and moved the distributor both ways and it didn't fix the problem. I guess you could say the car is going vrruumm, vrum, vrum. It's not supposed to do that, specially when around 3-4 thousand rpms.

Last edited:
Check your TPS. With a multimeter; slowly turn the throttle from closed to open and make sure the range is linear.

Can I cut the plugs off the square connectors on the distributer and splice the wires together to the round plug on my other distributor?

Last edited:
This is the distributor and intake I have on my car now. It runs but when I rev the motor to about 3-4 thousand rpms it want's to act like I'm continuously pushing the pedal. Sounds like vvrruuummm, vruum, vruum.

Attachments

• Distributor Plug.jpg
    Distributor Plug.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Intake.jpg
    Intake.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 256
Back