Why Does The Gsr Have A Dual Stage Intake...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MR.B

Why does the GSR have the dual stage intake ...
What is the purpose and why is the gsr the one with this setup..
THe ITR/CTR/SI/SH lude all use the singal intake manifold setup right...

I notice that must people do away with the Dual stage IM and change the ECU to a p28 anyway...
They said that changing to the p28 with a chip to raise the redline eliminates the dual stage IM and make the Vtec come on all at once instead of two stages...
Is this true???
I would think this would be a better method for vtec engagment...

prelude's have dual stage runners..THe only reason i can come up with is the folks at honda wanted to cut back on emissions or something like that..I can't really think of anythign logical because they only engage at a certain rpm during vtec but wouldn't the extra air help in lower rpm's too though? I don't know..im curous to know

The reason for the dual stage is to help low end torque. Honda thinks us fat Americans want a little more torque so they gave us the the dual stage intake manifold. The 3.5RL actually has a three stage intale maniflod.

You can also do what I did and get a skunk2 intake manifold and help your high rpm HP, but you can definately feel the loss of torque in the cars midrange. Now all I need is a new throttle body and ecu re-programmed for higher VTEC engagement.

Originally posted by xtc@9k@May 13 2003, 01:52 AM
The reason for the dual stage is to help low end torque. Honda thinks us fat Americans want a little more torque so they gave us the the dual stage intake manifold. The 3.5RL actually has a three stage intale maniflod.

You can also do what I did and get a skunk2 intake manifold and help your high rpm HP, but you can definately feel the loss of torque in the cars midrange. Now all I need is a new throttle body and ecu re-programmed for higher VTEC engagement.

:werd:

that's exactly why. a lot of people switch to the single butterfly cuz they mod their car and they lose some top-end pull with the stock IM. I think it's great for a engine that only has bolt-ons but it sux ass if you've swapped cams or pistons...etc...

Back