wierd timing problem 1991 DX-Japan engine replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rjdaaa

I recently replaced my engine with one from Japan ,a 1.5 liter 88-91 non-vtec.Everything went well until I tried to time the engine to the firing marks on the crank pulley, with a jumper wire in the diagnostic port under glovebox, the timing was still advanced so far I had to rotate the distributor clockwise past the mounting tab to block connection to line up firing mark on crank.I secured the distributor in that position and drove the car, if on the freeway, the check engine light comes on and car then loses power but works ok around town.I can start car and drive again but the cycle repeats itself.No codes are given and the check engine light stays off when I start up again.
I rechecked the timing as to belt cam sprocket and crank pulley, the crank pulley is identical to the USA one.I even timed by manually aligning the sensors in the distributor for firing the number 1 cylinder when the crank pulley was set at the firing mark with the distributor set in the normal pisition. The car runs like this but kind if crappy and dies ocassionally at idle after a while and does seem to be running really advanced when set like this.If anyone has run into this please let me know what to do,thanks!

Is the ignition module in the distributor? If so, I did switch out distributors as I had an old distributor with a worn out bearing, but it still worked, the result was the same, timing still read too advanced.

Well I drove the car on the freeway and after 10 minutes I got a code 4,crank angle sensor.The Haynes book says the crank angle sensor test is to test resistance regarding connectors b to c and d to e for dual port.Both tested at around 450 ohms so it was in spec,ie,200-550 is ok.However, each of the connectors are to be separately tested and exhibit continuity, says Haynes.I tried this with a continuity light and couldnt get the light to go on when I touched any of the connectors separately on either of my distributors with the other wire grounded.I also replaced the ignitor from my other distributor and still no luck.
The car still runs fine around town with the distributor cranked over clockwise as described in first post but throws the code 4 if on the freeway after a while.Is Haynes right,maybe I just need a distributor but I cant see how both of them can be bad.

Hi Doug2479;
Maybe you could post a separate thread and note what happened that led up to the problem, or list them here, maybe there are some similarities that might help us, I am really stumped by this one.
rjdaaa

Hey rjdaaa;

I have a thread running... " 90 crx si... cel but no code????" ...
Read thru it and see if anything helps?
Thx

Well. today I tested the wiring harness by disconnecting it from the ECU and checking resistance at distributor for the crank angle sensor and TDC sensor,wiring harness seems ok as resistance is around 391. I am checking with someone, could be the japanese head/ cam is different.The head says PM3-7 and the serial number on the block is D15B 1700926 if anyone knows what the USA head says, might be good to know.I don't know if the serial number might identify the year or not?

Update here-the head, cam and crank timing with belt and belt(106 teeth) are right, there is no play in cam sprocket and cam mounting, all stock.
The problem is that the car when timed correctly with a light on the red mark, needs to have the distributor cranked clockwise past the mounting tabs just a bit, if I look in the distributor with car stopped and the crank pointer on the red fire mark on pulley, the prong(for firing number 1 cylinder) in the distributor is still about 1/4 inch before the pickup in the distributor,.I have tested the stock distributor and a replacement distributor and both need to be cranked past their mounts to time correctly so the car is firing before the prong passes exactly under the pickup sensor. The car will run fine all day unless I go on the freeway and then after about 5 minutes it throws a code 4, crank angle sensor and goes in limp mode, usually when trying to keep speed up to 65.I assume the clockwise cranked distributor is causing the code, could it be the computer, I don't know what to try next?
Has anyone seen this before?

Back