Will A D16z Cam Fit Into A D15 Engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

will a cam designed for a D16z6 fit a D15B2 engine? I was told once that i should put the si cam in my D15, so I am hoping its "yes"...but i really want to know if a performance cam for a D16z will work.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@May 17 2003, 03:47 AM
will a cam designed for a D16z6 fit a D15B2 engine? I was told once that i should put the si cam in my D15, so I am hoping its "yes"...but i really want to know if a performance cam for a D16z will work.

No. The D16 VTEC cam has 5 lobes per cylinder, while your D15 cam only has 4. The rocker/follower setup is most likely different (in terms of placement vs lobes on the cam) and the journals that hold the cam in place might be in different locations as well. The Si cam from the D16A6 should fit though- just not the D16Z6. The heads for the D15B2 and the D16A6 are identical.

I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure that it will.

damn. i keep getting the A6 and the Z6 mixed up :bash: i originally meant the A6 (non-vtec). thanks for the reply mike.

one last thing...if the A6 cam will fit, will a skunk2 stage 1 cam for an A6 fit my D15?

i know its like a waste to build a D15, and i doubt i will actually get the cam, but would like to know anyway. :)

Originally posted by chasengnouc@May 22 2003, 11:19 PM
if you would like to damage you cylinder head try putting it on. HOPEFULLY it'll fit.

the heads are apparently IDENTICAL (D16a6 and D15b2) according to mike (calesta)...and i believe mike knows his shit. what i want to know is if there is any SPECIFIC reason why it will not work.

I don't think there's any specific reason why it wouldn't work, unless the valves won't clear the pistons or something.

The way I understand the head castings, the A6 and B2 heads are the same- it's the cam, intake manifold, and injector setup that differentiate the two.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 23 2003, 01:35 AM
for the $300 bucks you'd spend on a cam, why not do a z6 mini me head swap?

not smog legal :( ...but the skunk2 cam is

hey man i will sell you the a6 cam for way cheap, and how are the guys at your local smog shop going to know you have a cam in there, all they do is pop you hood and stick a pipe up your exaust.

the skunk2 cam is legal (beleive it or not)...the mini-me swap isn't. thanks for the offer though, Masseyracer..hmm, so tempting. as for doing a swap, im just not ready to part with my perfectly runnning D15. now ive got a DC header and i love it even more! :worthy:

Yes the A6 cam fits fine. Yes aftermarket A6 cams fit fine. Delta does regrinds fro $85 , alot cheaper than the skunk I'm sure.

Honda Tech has a list of A6 cams and thier specs just do a search

Back