winter tires? or all seasons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
well after replacing the axles on my teg today, i decided to rotate my tires since the fronts were getting pretty worn and the rears were stil new looking. after doing that, at first i though the axles were messed up but talking to my friend he thinks its the tires, and that i never knew they were bad since they were on the back. you can feel lumps in the tire. so now heres my dilema. im thinking about just replacing all the tires, but i want something that will last, and not something ill have to replace again in like 6 months, keep in mind i do quite a bit of driving (pizza delivery) so lifespan is a big deal. also winter is comming up, so it would be nice to have something that performs well in snow too.

i was looking at the michelin x-ices. they are like 72 bucks a piece in 195/60/14
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=0

also looking at the BFG traction T/A H they are 60 bucks in 195/60/14
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=1

also what size should i go with? im currently on 195/60/14's? go to 185/65/14's? or stick with stock size?

since when does kuhmo make a snow tire??

anyawy...

i ran the x-ice's last season. damn good tire.

the thing with all seasons, is that they do NOTHING well.
they suck in the dry
they suck in the wet
they suck in the snow

but they are capable of doing all 3.

its like those hybrid bikes they had for a while... kinda like a mountain bike with skinny tires.

they suck in the woods
they are slow on the road
but can do either ok...

go for a real set of snows IMO

how long should i expect them to last? and how are they in non-snow conditions? cause its not like when it snows, its there til it melts, it gets plawed, then cindered/salted, and its back to normal dry roads again. im not getting a set just to use for snow, this is a set thats going on the car, to be driven in all weather conditions. i dont have an extra set of rims...

Quoted post[/post]]
I dont have an extra set of rims...

Get some.

Get some 13" steelies or something. Then, a top brand of snow tire in that size, and keep them stored throughout the year. I do that with my Civic.

Like Brian said, All-seasons suck, regardless of brand or price. A set of summer treads, and a set of Winter treads, is far more economical than a set of 4 that claim to do everything.

-> S

look around on some boards man. i just off'ed my 80% used mich's 195/55/15's to chip for 50 bucks....

but Ian, your in Maryland where you might only have a few big snows a year. Snow tires are not needed. A nobby pair of all seasons is all you really need. Yes, I am a huge fan of snow tires, but if your using them more on dry pavement, they are not needed. Where I go to school, they are. I went 300 miles last year without ever seeing pavement.

Snow tires will ware quickly on normal pavement and you'll probally get about 15000 on them tops.

70% of the time, im in the mountains of West Virginia, as i go to school there. its more snowy there, but not terribly much more. not only more snowy but more hills, big hills. im thinking about getting snow tires for now, and when the spring rolls around, get another set of steelies with regular tires. opinions? im not trying to spend crap loads of money, its just my daily, all i care about it keeping it running and sasving money by not spending unnecessay $ on it. i already have one money pit, lol.

werd.. do a 14" steelie tire package from TireRack.com with the 185/60/14 x-ice's

mine were under 400 shipped if i rememeber right... and thats mounted and balanced shipped to your door, so its a quick install.

and if you wanna be a cool pizza boy, get some 14" spining dub caps :p

ive got yoko as430's. had them up in some snow this weekend, they are nice! great ride on the wet and dry too. they stick decent for all seasons.

i think im going with the BFG's. they are considerably cheaper, and out perform in every category except snow. and even the snow ability of them looks pretty good. like i said i wont need a die hard snow tire. besides, the tread depth of these are 10/32", the mich's are still only 11/32" not much of a difference. for what im gonna be driving in 90% of the time, i think this is the better tire to choose. hell i went winters before my crx was stolen on performance summer only tires in a car that was lighter and had more power then what im currently driving, and i was fine, and made it without a problem. i should be fine with these.

just go to the junk yard and walk around looking for any 4x100 wheels with some knobby lookin bitches...

you should be able to score a set for 100 bucks, mounted, balanced and ready to go...

blizzaks are the best thing i have ridden on in snow..
Ive got some ae512's on my hatch and they are decent for an all season !

Back