wireless mini PCI compatability (now with PICS)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sorry, I was under the impression that you wanted to reinstall Windows. Knoppix would just allow you to save your data before the reinstall and to make sure that your device isn't causing the instability. If you are going to try and recover then your plan is probably best (never successfully used the Windows recovery thing so I am not sure.)

well i guess ill reinstall windows if i have to. but yea i dont want to loose anything. i thought if i reinstalled the OS id still be able to keep all the data on the HDD? i thought it just redid the OS files not all of them?

new updates

laptop seemed extremely hot. seems to get hotter then normal, right around the area where the HD is. i shut it off since it wasnt loading anyway. and turned it back on after it cooled down.

got the dreaded blue screen =(

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Iamge Checksum}
The image olecli32.dll is possibly corrupt. the header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

what now? what does that mean?

ok, so for fear the HD might be going, i downloaded Knoppix. got it burned to a cd, and the laptop runs fine with it. i had a little trouble with copying files to the jump drive, but mike (b16) helped me out with that. just waiting on my windows cd to finish downloading and try to reinstall windows and see if it helps any.

anyone have an image of SP4 for win 2k? or a disc they can make the image from?

Last edited:
ok well. im back up and running 2000 (for now). everything is running great. a little PITA getting all the drivers again but its back. and i saved all my important data thanks to knoppix. then i reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

the wireless is working fine as well. theres just some things im a little confused about.

first the wireless works fine, but the signal is weak. when i go far (as in the other side of the apartment) i thought the antennas were supposed to increase the signal, but they really havent done much. when installing the antennas, i noticed the lid is metal, and not plastic. could this be blocking the signal?

second, the internet via ethernet doesnt work. when i try to add another network connection, the wizard doesnt give me the option to add another LAN connection. but when i installed the drivers for the wireless card it automatically made it a LAN connection. any idea there?

this has def been a learning experience, thanks for all the help :)

edit:
also tried installing AIM 6.0 and it says i dont meet the system requirements of 42 MB free space, 128MB ram, and running XP/2K. i have near 25GB free space, 512MB ram, and i am running 2K, whats the deal? anyone have a similar problem?

Last edited:
ok i moved the antennas to a spot where they shouldnt be blocked. only covered by plastic, not metal. link quality wasnt really affectd but the speed seems to be better. i think the antennas just may be shitty. also fixed the ethernet problem, just needed the right driver.

still having problems with AIM 6.0, though. anyone?

Last edited:
i am but 6.0 is sweet! i have it on my desktop fine, i just dont know why it says i dont meet min reqs when i do?

ok aim works now. apparently you need IE6 (IE5 was on the win2k by default).

if they are gonna tell you you dont meet system reqs, they should at least tell you which req you dont meet rather then telling you the ones you already have...

oh well, thanks everyone :)

oh and the wireless works great. which was the intent of this thread to begin with. still dealing with a somewhat weak signal but i moved the router to my living room to help get it closer and increase the signal strength. its probably the shitty antennas. they def help some though, i unplugged them and the signal plumited. but the range is really only like 20-30ft. im thinking it is the laptop though, cause my PC is further away and gets better signal.

but not having that stupid PC card hanging off the side of my laptop is great too :)

well after fixing my laptops software issues, i got some pics of the wireless stuff installed.

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

what you cant see is that i ran the antenna wires through the case and into the lid. they were pretty much the perfect length. i followed the same path that the old modem wires took (used to be in the mini PCI slot that the wireless card is in now) and the modem wires just happened to end at the jack right where the monitor wires went into the lid. all i had to do was trim some of the plastic of the case in that area (which is completely hidden when its all together) and run the wires up into the lid.

signal strength is great, but quality isnt so hot, and as a result, range seems to be fairly limited. any ideas on that?

Back