Wireless Routers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Hey guys, im sure many of you have had experiences with wireless router. i used have a USR Robotics and it was great. however, i moved and getting another service. best buy has some great deals on routers.

anyway here are my options (very limtied budget):

D-Link Di-534 - $10 After Rebates (medicore performance*)
Netgear WGR614 - $20 After Rebates (overrall good*)
Linksys WRT54GC - $30 After Rebates (no info)

So there are my choices. Performance is not all that crucial. Well be on SBC 3.0 meg service. Im more concerned on customer service and quality of the product. Any can comment or give me better choices in that price range. Budget is $60 + wireless card.

Thanks Alot

*=Based on reviews done by PCMAG and Cnet.

ive decided to stay away from D-Link because of "too many horror" stories. its either the netgear or linksys because comcast relies on netgear equipment and linksys is a no brainer.

i know. dont say if OEM uses it, it musnt be good. however, it seems like in the computer world, whatever is OEM seems to work quiet well. Examples ASUS, MSI, Antec, etc... That is if its not one of those cheap shit systems or parts that use no name brands.

Charter uses netgear too, but my D-link has been working fine for over a year now. I wouldn't trust Linksys just because Cisco is their parent company though.

how does it suck?

i've had mine for over a year now with no issues. easy to use, pretty cheap, and windows drivers are built in to xp for the cards.

if you need customer support for a freakin wireless router.....

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 1 2005, 03:14 PM
how does it suck?

i've had mine for over a year now with no issues. easy to use, pretty cheap, and windows drivers are built in to xp for the cards.
[post=548389]Quoted post[/post]​

i hate linksys. ive always had issues with them. the wifi router held the signal, and then become anonymous on me after about 5 minutes. then they dont reset properly. i swapped my first wifi router 3 times, because of those same issues. and its not just me either.

currently im sitting on a belkin wireless, and before that i had a belkin 4port router. never ever had any problems.

before i bought the belkin 4port, i had a linksys. we had to unplug and plug it in atleast twice a day.

i use linksys wireless router in my apt and i love it. i have the router in my bedroom, hardlined from the router to my PC. and wireless connection to my roomates PC in the other room and wireless to my laptop, works anywhere in my apt.

only time i ever had an issue was when i didnt have it setup properly. like when i first hooked it up, aparently like everyone in my apt complex has the same router and like 6 people have it on the default channel. so mine kept getting mixed up with theirs. simple channel change and im all good.

The company I work for uses Link Sys and D-link. I've never seen a problem that was router related with a D-link. Link Sys... well, lets just say that we've had to replace 3 linksys routers in one company over the course of a month... for what seems like no apparent reason whatsoever.

From my experience in working at a tech support desk for a major ISP I have noticed that linkysys seems to be the most efficient brand of home networking equipment. I have also had to speak with their 2nd level support desk many times for our customers and they have always been really efficient and fast in solving issues. They also have the best GUI I have seen for the price and most features and I know for a fact that backwards and forwards compatibilty is great. D-link works well too but linksys will give you more bang for you buck. I also have a linksys wireless b access point I would get rid of for about 15 bucks shipped if you are interested. Any how I hope this helped.

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Sep 1 2005, 05:01 PM-->
what?
[post=548416]Quoted post[/post]​

I mean, if you have to call linksys customer support to set up their home router, youre a fucking moron.

plug it in, follow the directions in the book, load the cd.

if you can click a mouse, you can set it up.

2000Si
@Sep 1 2005, 08:07 PM
The company I work for uses Link Sys and D-link. I've never seen a problem that was router related with a D-link. Link Sys... well, lets just say that we've had to replace 3 linksys routers in one company over the course of a month... for what seems like no apparent reason whatsoever.
[post=548469]Quoted post[/post]​

there's the problem in it self....

these things are meant for HOME use-- not a freakin business.

if you have multiple home routers at work- your "network engineers" really need to remove their heads from their ass.

yeah you definately should be using at the least "catalyst" series routers in a business environment.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 2 2005, 09:44 AM-->
Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 1 2005, 05:01 PM
what?
[post=548416]Quoted post[/post]​

I mean, if you have to call linksys customer support to set up their home router, youre a fucking moron.

plug it in, follow the directions in the book, load the cd.

if you can click a mouse, you can set it up.

2000Si
@Sep 1 2005, 08:07 PM
[post=548469]Quoted post[/post]​

there's the problem in it self....

these things are meant for HOME use-- not a freakin business.

if you have multiple home routers at work- your "network engineers" really need to remove their heads from their ass.
[post=548735]Quoted post[/post]​

im not fucking moron because i couldnt fix a piece of shit linksys router, not all of us are system admins. linksys couldnt get my unit to work properly with me and just stopped helping me, hanging up everytime i spoke with them. are you a moron because you couldnt get your car running right? no it just didnt work out.

Back