Would like opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Well I was cruising the junkyard on post the other day, and low and behold there sat a Saab turbo, with all turbo components intact (turbo, intercooler, some lines etc..). Now the question is, I could probably get all the parts from it for under a hundered, maybe a little more, depending on the guys mood. Do you guys think I should bother? It would be going on my B16. And if I did get it, where would I start on collecting the parts to make it work in my civic?

It depends on how big the turbo is, I wouldn't spend the money for only 20-30 HP. I would more money for a much bigger turbo.

saabs generally use t3's in a .63 trim. it will bump you to 250-ish no problem on 15 pounds.

i say go for it... but realize that theres a LOT more to a turbo setup than the turbo itself.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 8 2003, 12:49 AM
saabs generally use t3's in a .63 trim. it will bump you to 250-ish no problem on 15 pounds.

i say go for it... but realize that theres a LOT more to a turbo setup than the turbo itself.

:withstupid: .

if it is the 84-87 SAAB 900 with the 2.0L i would not get the turbo because it is oil cooled and with the oil cool i creates too much engine lag and spools slower and if it is on the 85-88 SAAB 9000 i would check the turbo and if tis is not good buy it to use as a rebuildmake sure you get the intercoolers off of those Sabb's you might want to grab the plumbing if he is going to throw that in for cheapyou could use the elbows. You got to remember that there is alot more to a turbo kit than just the turbo and the plumbing
turbo, injectors, Bov, FMU ect......

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i've NEVER sen a turbo that ISN'T oil lubed. cooled? no. thats what water is for.

Originally posted by hondahauge@Oct 8 2003, 11:09 AM
i would not get the turbo because it is oil cooled and with the oil cool i creates too much engine lag and spools slower

that should go in the history books for dumbest. sentence. ev4r.

Actually, hondahuge is right about the oil thing. He just dropped out in 3rd grade and never really got a grasp for articulation Anyway... the older Saabs were oil lubed/ cooled. They had no water jacket to cool them. The newer ones do have a water jacket. As for the T3 trim... it's really a .42/ .48. Not .63. :p Saab ICs suck, unless you weld on new end tanks to get rid of the stupid ass dual pass design.

Well I couldn't read anything more than Air research off of it, but it is pretty small. The intercooler is tiny, about the size of the civic Fluidyne radiator, and both the inlet and the outlet are facing the same direction. Coming off the top of the radiator is a tube that goes to the turbo housing (I am guessing that is the water jacket((I am turbo stupid)). So hypothetically, if I could get everything from it, aside from the piping and exhaust manifold, what else am i looking at having to acquire to get this thing to work on a B16? Does anyone know about the bolt patterns and if I could have a custom flange ordered from the states? Thanks for the responses, and keep 'em coming. I have been kicking this idea around for a bit, and would like to see if I can do it for less than buying a kit.

umm injectors, some sort of fuel management, bov, wastegate if its not internal which it prob is, manifold, downpipe, some ramdom fittings, oil return line,boost gauge, and poss. a few other things. hope that helps

Originally posted by driver1@Oct 9 2003, 11:39 PM
umm injectors, some sort of fuel management, bov, wastegate if its not internal which it prob is, manifold, downpipe, some ramdom fittings, oil return line,boost gauge, and poss. a few other things. hope that helps

Yea, I figure all the little things are going to be a killer, the injectors are easy, I don't see having to get anything too big for that tiny ass turbo. Didn't see a WG, so it is probably internal, as many stock ones like that are, so I am thinking a few hundred for the little shit, and a couple more for the piping. I mean my motor runs really strong now, leaks nothing, so it is probably up to some low boost, and I can get most thing fabbed by a shop here so I should be ok. Man I wish I had been paying more attention to turbo issues in the past.

It said Air research on it?

Check out my pics and tell me if it looks exactly like this turbo:

Page 2

It's my old page and I got some things I'm selling, so just scroll to the various pictures of my cat and the turbo. Mine also says Air Research on it. and it had an internal wastegate with various oil lines for the shaft and bearings.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 10 2003, 01:10 AM
It said Air research on it?

Check out my pics and tell me if it looks exactly like this turbo:

Page 2

It's my old page and I got some things I'm selling, so just scroll to the various pictures of my cat and the turbo. Mine also says Air Research on it. and it had an internal wastegate with various oil lines for the shaft and bearings.

For some reason, I cannot open or find that page. But I will try to get some picks of the whole thing today, and post them up.

oeeee nowes!!!!!!! someone stol3d ur megahurts!!!!1

works for me dog

Works for me too now :)

The one on the Saab looks smaller than that one, but it is in the bay, so I may be wrong. I couldn't see the Air Research like the one on yours, this one I could only see the serial number tag. I didn't make it today, I am going to do my rear sdisc conversion tomorrow, so I will be on post and get some pics.

Back