X-mas List 2013--Yeah

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This is a different topic but always try your best to understand what you're getting yourself into. Any Fortune 500 company's tuition reimbursement program or any management stay program is going to have teeth to it. What that means in laymens is that you're locked into staying for 3-8years, otherwise you have to pay the reimbursement back.

I'm not saying not to take advantage of that benefit but I'm saying to make sure you know what you're getting into. Successful people aren't just dreamers. Dreamers are the people with great ideas that don't have commitment or follow through. There's plenty of those on this very message board that have brilliant ideas but don't have two nickels to rub together.

One example I'll use is the career path of accountants. It's boring to tears and if you ask me and if you ask most of them, it sucks. With that said its very defined. They understand if they wade through 5-8 years of the suck, they become managers when they're at the Big 4. If they're good and they stay 8-12 years, they're partners and they're set for life.

Most people would say 'oh I can do that', start down the path, earn a poor salary, rack up bills and then ultimately change their mind, quit, and have nothing to show. Compare that to those that are strong willed enough to put their head down, shut up, and grind. That separates the winners and losers in life.

This.

While not an accountant, I'm grinding right now for a fortune 500 and looking at MBA. I have to reimburse my time it takes to get back to the company but the doors and ceilings it busts through with my experience is huge is the long run.

All I want is to shoot my new guns! Doc said i would need to wait 4 months!

What I would really want is a good LEATHER holster for my GP100......or maybe a scope....dont judge me! my eyes suck and its the only gun I can shoot!

Dyson rollerball - sports car handling in a vacuum.......couldn't resist a test drive

funny - i couldn't spend that much on a vacuum. most vacs have alot of the same features now, including hepa. our existing eureka was new before kristen moved in but the roller motor burned out.

i cant remember the model, but we replaced it with a clearance eureka. i think it was just a "newer" version of our existing model.

You know, I left this alone all day because I didn't want to come off as a know it all schmuck. I'm no expert and I don't know if I'm personally playing the game of life right but I've come to belief that this saying that our generation has proliferated for so long is just a large, steaming pile of crap.

I absolutely love what my girlfriend and I are building but it cannot be mistaken for anything but work. It's no longer a hobby. We don't get to turn it on and off when we want. If we want it to work, its a 24/7/365 project. It's been one set of broken promises after another. It's heart ache, its blood, sweat and tears. And most of all, its a hell of a lot of money, commitment and risk.

I wouldn't trade what I have for the world. I've come to enjoy the process. Embrace the suck. Enjoy the grind and smile that its forging a better, stronger, smarter, tougher person.

I'm thrilled but its certainly work. The girlfriend just came home after 7 hours of painting after working a full day. She's covered in red paint and all she can muster to say when I bust her chops about what has she been doing all day is give a smile, a giggle and a "I was painting... OUR GYM!"

Btw if you or any of your college friends are out by Middlesex Boro come bring us lots of money and work out. Endorphin CrossFit | DR Prescribed.
That's actually not far from me at all. I work in Cranford and live in Hazlet.

As far as "that saying" goes, would you be doing all of this if you didn't love the idea of your own business? I'm sure you're into Crossfit, not just jumping on the trend to make a couple of bucks. You're grinding away because you know you will love the end result. Awhile back I read a study that people who go into business fore themselves always work more, but are ultimately happier simply because all their hard for is for them, not so a partner can buy another car he won't drive.

So while yes, it is still "work", you're more willing and eager to do it, because you like the boss more.

As far as me working out there, I don't think you want a dead white guy cluttering up the space.

Basically a labor of love. I loved working construction when I was doing it for myself. I loved building things and making people happy. The money was good too, when I was working.

I actually really like my job now though.

I won't know what kind of vacuum cleaner my house cleaner uses, but it works good.

Blah Orecks are better ....the Oreck Platinum Pilot is what we have...super light....very low maintenance...limited lifetime warranty ...10 years free service...can't beat that with a bat

I paid the same for my Dyson as the price of the Oreck at Kohls with a 30% off coupon plus I netted 100.00 in Kohls cash. I also didn't want to mess with buying bags every month. We have hardwood floors and a shedding cat so we vacuum like every 3 days. Finally the power head for the wand is pure awesome for getting the cat hair off the couches, Chairs and bedding.

funny - i couldn't spend that much on a vacuum. most vacs have alot of the same features now, including hepa. our existing eureka was new before kristen moved in but the roller motor burned out.

i cant remember the model, but we replaced it with a clearance eureka. i think it was just a "newer" version of our existing model.

Only reason we got the Dyson is the fact that it was on sale + 30%off at Kohls. We have already burned out two other vacs from our cat. The Dyson makes cleaning the hardwoods easy. I used to clean offices and if I had the coin I would love to get a real true pro vac but that would be stupid expensive. It really kinda boils down to a chevy/ford/dodge convo that I hear in my shop class every day. They all have their certain high and low points.

Becareful with cheaper vac that say hepa on them. It probably not catching as much stuff as you think. Look up the prices on a true hepa shop vac, one that is certified for the construction RRP law. I have a $70 dirt devil I got, works good for the most part. When I had my condo all hard surfaces we used a shop vac before cleaning the floors. Now we have an apt with carpet so I got this vac. When we buy a house it will be all hard surface no carpet, then we will get a nice vac that will work well for that.

A few months ago I bought a dryer and I was excited to use. We were supposed to have a washer/dryer at my condo but I had a washer anyways and we rack dried everything. Having the dryer is so much better. Some of my neighbors were such pigs and left the shared laundry disgusting so I had installed the washer.

Last edited:
That's actually not far from me at all. I work in Cranford and live in Hazlet.

As far as "that saying" goes, would you be doing all of this if you didn't love the idea of your own business? I'm sure you're into Crossfit, not just jumping on the trend to make a couple of bucks. You're grinding away because you know you will love the end result. Awhile back I read a study that people who go into business fore themselves always work more, but are ultimately happier simply because all their hard for is for them, not so a partner can buy another car he won't drive.

So while yes, it is still "work", you're more willing and eager to do it, because you like the boss more.

As far as me working out there, I don't think you want a dead white guy cluttering up the space.

Come work out. Grand opening party on Nov 2nd.

Aside from that - yes, I "love" what we are doing. It's not just strictly a money grab, it's something I have been passionate about my entire life.

The difference here is that it's no longer a hobby. You can't pick it up and drop it as you choose, you can't shut it down on a bad day and go grab a nap. There's plenty of statistics that say that many are more happy when they're in business for themselves but there are also plenty of studies and results that say something to the effect that if you make a hobby or an interest into a business - that you'll stop liking that hobby so much and you'll no longer think of it as carefree or fun.

My uncle owns his own bank at this point. He has stories upon stories of things like olympic skiers creating a ski lesson business and ultimately hating having to go to work every day.

I deal with small businesses all day, every day. Generally the only time a small business owner is happy is when they're successful. All other business owners are scraping by and worried about the next bill or government regulation to come down the pike.

It is much, much easier to collect a check from a stable company with a guaranteed job. I wouldn't have a 401k, I wouldn't have a pension, I wouldn't have health insurance that is 90%+ subsidized, and I wouldn't make nearly the amount of money that I make, if I didn't work for the company (or for the previous companies that I was at in the past) that I work for today.

The statistic that matters is the one that shows over 90% of small businesses fail within the first 3 years. Remember that. I sure never forget it - we aren't even close to being through the first 3 years yet - it's still just the honeymoon and its a ton of work.

A space heater designed to look like a cabinet came up on Tiger Direct today. That wouldn't be bad to have in the office in the townhouse when I'm working for home and I don't want to heat the entire place up.

I have a fake fireplace one already that's behind me now that throws off 1500W. Pretty powerful.

I've dumped those dyson canisters before, all the dust flies out all over the place and they get jammed with dust and dirt and you have to knowc the side of it to get it all out...it's messy and pointless....replacing bags is easier and cleaner.

My dad used to buy the $1500 Kirby's. They weighed a fucking ton and the belt in the head would always slip off...i remember always trying to get the head to line up so the green light would go on...freaking pain.....

He switched to Orecks which is how i became a fan of them...extremely powerful light weight fantastic little machines...

Kirby still owns all.... anyways, this isn't a vacuum thread...lol

Looks like I may be getting the Sonos Playbar and Sub... my buddy got them for me... he works at Sonos... Woot!

Non teflon lined, I like that part. I am happy with my Emeril wear.

We should fork this thread into one part xmas thread, the other house wears. lol

I use a blend of stainless and non-stick. I'm more of a fan of buying mis matched sets vs matching just for use. Like an egg pan has to be non-stick, etc.

Kirby still owns all.... anyways, this isn't a vacuum thread...lol

Looks like I may be getting the Sonos Playbar and Sub... my buddy got them for me... he works at Sonos... Woot!

Is your house setup with a Sonos System?

If not i would pass. if you are looking for a phenomenal soundbar solution...look no further than here....

Amazon.com: BIC America FH-56 Surround Sound Bar with BIC Acoustech PL-200: Electronics

Hook that all into this

Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver: Electronics

and you will be blown away

Back