Xbox 360 controller keeps disconnecting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I'm having a problem with my Xbox 360 wireless controller losing signal/connection. It's not the batteries. I've used the new Rayovac and Energizer batteries along with the rechargeable batteries; still does it(full to 3-bars).

What happens is it'll just say connect controller on the screen and on the controller the lights are spinning/trying to find connection. It won't reconnect unless I reinstall the batteries and/or press that little program/sync buttom on both the console and the controller. I've been killed maybe 10 times today because of it on MW2.

Anyone have this problem and/or know how to fix it?

I'd just buy a new controller, that or get one of the cord chargers. 360 controllers can be finicky. I haven't had much luck with the wireless headsets either. Both of mine quit working after a few months of heavy use, they just refused to charge.

What order are you re-syncing them in?

I'd just buy a new controller, that or get one of the cord chargers. 360 controllers can be finicky. I haven't had much luck with the wireless headsets either. Both of mine quit working after a few months of heavy use, they just refused to charge.

That's the thing, I don't want to have to buy another controller. I rarely play much and have been using AA battery pack.

As stated before, batteries are not the issue. It's getting plenty of juice. The controller isn't dieing or losing power, but just straight up losing connection with the console.

when i connect mine i usually hit the one on the console first, then hold down the one on the controller after a second or 2

Fuck a PS3. :p That's a whole another topic, but I have my reasons on why I think 360>PS3.

Anyways, I think the problem may be related to my router and/or phone. I guess I need to relocate everything.

dont know why your router or phone would mess with it.. are you wireless?

Nope! That's what I don't get either. Wifi is disabled but radio is still on(I'm using DD-WRT on a Linksys router but can't find the option to disable radio). Maybe there's more too it. The phone is a 2.4ghz Vtech phone but it's sitting in the docking station thingy; right next to my cable modem.

My desk is setup like this(from left to right):
15" monitor(currently unplugged), Xbox 360, 26" monitor, phone, modem, router(behind everything), and mid-tower PC. The desk is about 4' wide.

What frequency does the Xbox 360 controllers communicate on?

It works best if you take the whole 360 back and try and get some money back and use that money to buy a PS3.

Fuck a PS3. :p That's a whole another topic, but I have my reasons on why I think 360>PS3.

That is one area where I really appreciate my PS3 over my 360 though. Connecting wireless controllers is so easy...just hit the "PS" button on the controller and you're done, no syncing.

It's funny to watch people bicker about their preferred consoles though. It's very similar to the way people bicker over car brands, LOL...

do u have more than one controller? if so, is it doing it on both of them

I only have one controller, but am getting another one this week in the mail.

I've tried moving the router and phone away, but still does it. :( Maybe I need to move it further away.

As for the Xbox syncing, I think it's great because sometimes we have LAN parties with 3-4 Xbox's in very close proximity. Though, it would be better if we could just select the channel.

Last edited:
Before I say anthing I'm going to ask this.

When it disconnects, does the controller shut completely off or does it just stop working?

If the controller shuts completely off, then the battery pack is loose and its losing connection to the pins.

If the controller just stops working but it's still on try sitting closer or moving your xbox to a higher spot. It could possibly just be losing the wireless signal from the controller, like if you walked too far away from the xbox with it.

Or, the controller may just have a bad wireless antenna in it if its still on but doesn't work.

Whatever you do though, don't spill beer on your controller. I did that and the next day it would just randomly start spinning me in circles. I fell to my death a few times cause I couldn't stop it. lol

It does not shut off. The rings on the controller just start spinning(attempting to connect). I also noticed sometimes the controller would lag(like if you try to turn, it'll initially turn slowly then all of a sudden jerk), though that has only happened like 3 times.I have trouble holding the controller closer but I'm literally 2-3ft from the Xbox.

I always put beer bottles to my far left or right to prevent such situations. :)

I've dug through some comments/post on the internet and many suggest it's the router. Would the Wifi cause this(earlier I said how I couldn't turn radio off)?

maybe your neighbor has a 360 too, and they're close enough to grab connection from your controller? best i can figure out.

Neighbors have a PS2 and PS(I live in a cul de sac). Next closes neighbor that has an Xbox 360 is about 200ft away(they have 3 Xbox 360s though).

wouldnt matter anyways.. you can only connect if you hit the sync button on the xbox... have you tried to call microsoft and speak with their wonderful customer service .. lol

Aside from tearing it open and cleaning it with isopropyl (sp?) alcohol, I think its just a fucked controller. I'd give you one of mine but I keep fucking mine up.

I threw one of mine and fucked the Left Bumper (couldn't throw anymore stun grenades), and spilled beer on my black one. I think I have my one left until I go buy a new one or clean up my black one.

Back