Y1 is whining, B16a in Rex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

burninriceinva

Well here it goes. Y1 cable tranny makes a whining noise when cruising at 35-55 mph in 3rd- 5th gears. The higher the gear the higher pitched the whine. sound goes away (for now) when accelerating, decelerating or the speed is out of the 35- 55 mph range. I checked the fluid and its in good shape (about 10k on it). I noticed this after I hit the rev limiter one night. Tranny functions fine just anonys the hell out of me. I was thinking it could be the input shaft bearing. Have been told it may be the half shaft or throwout bearing. Just want some other ideas or resolutions from one who has had this problem.
Thanks to all who reply.

I get a kind of fast ticking noise that's really annoying when some of that shit happens. I don't know if it's just the car though, or if something's up. My car is a POS so it's probably something....

i am quite positive the throwout bearing would make noise all the time or only when the clutch is pressed and depressed,,might possibly be the synchros,,

Mine occationally makes a low whine or whistle when i cruise and i do hear the clutch engaging and disengaging but i never thought it be a problem.

Back