Your input h22a vs b18c5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

Right now I have stock 95 Integra LS. Next spring I was looking to do an engine swap. I'm not a professional, nor do I have a high paying job, and I don't sell drugs. So I don't have a ton to spend. I wanted to start with a new engine. Something that would put a lil pepper in my car's ass. My thought was to swap either an h22a (leaning to the h22a, cheaper :D ) or b18c5 to get more go and I could build them up later for the goal. Final goal is to have an ALL MOTOR thats runs low 13's (but 12's would be even bettter), and will still run and be stable on pump gas. Thoughts / suggestion??? (or other motor thougths)

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Nov 5 2003, 11:42 PM
I really wanna stay all motor for the reliablity factor.

if your wanting all motor and 13's your going to need a fat wad of cash and it probably wont be reliable. you'll have some rediculous compression ratio and have to run 110 octane atleast. my friend has a 94 teg w/a b18c1 boosted at 11lbs and hes only running 13.5's

yea I don't know if my lil teg will make it down there, that's why Im asking around. I might have to go with what my g/f's father 1st suggested cuz he said it would run 12 no prob (454 all motor 1970 Chevelle :D )

Originally posted by xyswany+Nov 5 2003, 10:49 PM-->
projectxspeed
@Nov 5 2003, 11:42 PM
I really wanna stay all motor for the reliablity factor.

if your wanting all motor and 13's your going to need a fat wad of cash and it probably wont be reliable. you'll have some rediculous compression ratio and have to run 110 octane atleast. my friend has a 94 teg w/a b18c1 boosted at 11lbs and hes only running 13.5's

What turbo is he running 11lbs with?

Originally posted by xyswany@Nov 5 2003, 10:21 PM
all motor is not cheap. therefore :) i would go with a boosted b18c

:werd: i wouldnt go for the h22 on the basis of you said that you are not a professional, and an h22 would be alot more complicated to install than a B series.
if you want all motor, pull out that LS and build up a LSVtec. use ctr pistons, and get a type r tranny if you want. the gearing is very tall on the LS trannys, the close ratio gearing in the type r tranny would be better for 1/4 mile. just my $.02

B18c5 man!!!!! LSD, Better final Drive, Better tranny/differential.

H22 has stupid a_ _ ATTS. That just tears up.

Thats only in the USDM prelude type SH (i think), you can get H22's with or without normal L.S.D.'s.

damn, it will cost you almost $5,000 to put a b18c5 in your car. if you put that into you ls motor you will run low 13's with ease. pistons, cams, head work, etc,etc, you will be there quick.

For the price of the B18C5 swap, you could beef up your bottom end and turbo your LS, and get Hondata and tune it properly. You will have the speed you want, and if tuned properly will be just as reliable as an all motor setup. You will have to rev the crap out of an all motor setup to make power.. high revs play a huge factor in reliability.

h22 all the way....they can handle alot of what you throw at them...b18c5 is a lot more expensive...IMO h22 is nice...i guess im partial becuz i have one....

Originally posted by mwvnos@Nov 9 2003, 07:50 PM
h22 all the way....they can handle alot of what you throw at them...b18c5 is a lot more expensive...IMO h22 is nice...i guess im partial becuz i have one....

this dude just has the money to slap in an h22. unless you have the money and time stick w/ ls/vtec or go ahead and get a b18c5 (which is a lot easier to install)

First off, I'm biased because I own a lude. So I prefer h22's. I just wanted to say that I don't see you getting a h22 or b18 to run 13 seconds NA on regular pump gas while still being reliable. I've looked into it and if you just want a little punch for the strip on the weekend I'd say build whatever engine is easy for you and go the nitrous route. For starting out on the strip, nitrous seems to be the easiest, cheapest, and has the most initial power for the money. I also wanted to say that turbocharged cars can be as or more reliable than NA cars.

Just an idea.

i would go with the b18. the h22 might be cheaper but you are gonna have to upgrade the suspension to handle the extra weight. if you dont want to spend a lot of money just put what you have in to the motor you have now.

Back