Z6 swap into my VX hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Unit02VXHatch

Alright got my stock 94 VX hatch (with a bit of hail damage) for $2,000 bone stock except for a lame intake and nopi sticker (both came with car)

First I was going to do my suspension but I ran accross a Z6 motor for $350 so I picked it up and am preparing to swap it into my car. Since this is my first swap I am not totally sure how this is going to go, so I'm looking for any advice/ tips from anyone who may have any experience with this particular swap.

Some specific ?'s I have are :

Since my VX is already wired for Vtech (Vtech-E that is) will I be able to use my same cpu?

Also will my distributor from my Vtech-E work on a Z6?

That's all off the top of my head, I appreciate any responses

vtec has no H on it. please learn this.

you're 99% wired for a complete bolt in.

you will need to run the z6 p28 computer, because the VX uses a 5-wire o2 sensor, and the z6 uses a 4-wire. you can't mix/match either.

thus, you need to score the 4-wire o2, need to re-wire for this, and run the z6 computer.

info on the 5-to-4 wire conversion is in our tech sarticles forum category.

other than that, its a bolt-in affair

You know thats pretty wierd cause my 94 VX has a 4 wire O2 sensor and my spare motor had a 5 wire, when I called the Honda dealership the were telling me it was supposed to be a one wire O2 sensor. So i'm not really sure whats really supposed to be in there but I don't care cause I have the 4 wire and i'm cool with that.

CX is one, but the cabin ECU harness is wired for the four wire (CX, DX, SI/EX all have wires pinned in all four locations, presumably making a swap using their own harness plug and play).

The VX has a five wire and reads wideband. The VX uses a different 12v, as B said there is a article in the swap section on where to run the new wire.

Yeah, if you are using the harness from the motor there is no need the do any o2 wiring. This threw me for a loop when I tried to wire the o2 sensor in my cx and realized that it was already wired from the shock towers.

Back