ZC SOHC build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jay di em02

I was wondering what i could to do my SOHC ZC to make it gain the most power...Cams, Pistons, etc...I've been searching, but i just want some opinions and thoughts about it...Also i'd like to be relativaly cheap here but with no turbo =]

thanks.

pick 2

power, cheap, reliability.

Get a turbo kit and a tune for cheap reliable power.

Turbo & Tune?

First, he said no turbo.

Second, I guess you would have to define cheap, considering thats going to run like 2k+ between the kit and paying someone for an ECU tune.

We need to know how much you want to gain from the setup, and how cheap you want it to be, and if by "no turbo" you mean no forced induction at all.

Last edited:
You could buy one for 1.5 but your not looking at very high quality. Good enough to run 9psi all day though if you don't want to do any internal work.

So I suppose with the criteria you would be right, cheap and it'll net him a good amount of hp.

Well i want the car to be N/A. I just want to build the motor little by little, but whats the best thing to get in it first besides headers, exaust and intake.. thanks for the replies.

N/A is far from cheap if you really want to build some hp.

I really don't build N/A that much but the general idea is to jack the compression up as high as you can get it and the parasitic loss as low as possible, while maintaining excellent flow dynamics. The drawbacks to N/A is you will ONLY run high octane fuel (like alcohol) once you build it past a certain point. Also, it is a lot of custom fabrication.

One plus though, it is a lot harder to break a N/A engine.

As far as parts go, if a more experienced N/A builder doesn't reply I can point you in the right direction.

P29/PM7 pistons, Bisimoto camshaft/valvetrain and header, ported intake maniofld+larger throttle body, and tune. That right there is under $2000, with the bulk of the cost coming from the Bisimoto components. You can get cheaper camshaft(like a regrind from Delta for about $75) and spend some money elsewhere.

btw, the highest HP all-motor D-series and F-series runs off of pump ;)

Homemade turbo >
The highest HP engines from any manufacturer have a lot of head work done to them. NASCAR teams spend around $8k per head to get their power out of 12:1 static compression. High compression alone is not the best way to make power, contrary to popular Honda-scenester belief.

I don't take the lazy way towards engine building. I take the correct way.

Just in case this was a crack at my comment...

Droolguy said:
...jack the compression up as high as you can get it and the parasitic loss as low as possible, while maintaining excellent flow dynamics.

Never said compression alone was a way to make power...

And a gt20 should fit a stock ZC quite well for under 1500...

k2e2vin said:
btw, the highest HP all-motor D-series and F-series runs off of pump

If its true then I stand corrected, like I said I don't build N/A much.

P.S. If it sounds like i'm on the defensive its because I am... people picking apart my posts, or I am just paranoid. Probably the latter.

Last edited:
Back