'03 Civic HX 5-speed swap (questions)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mechanic58

New to your site, looks like a great deal of information here. Better than any of the other sites I've checked out so far. I am hopeful that someone here can help me.

I have searched - just can't really find any threads that specifically address my query.

I have an '03 Civic HX, 1.7 with that horrid CVT transmission. It is perhaps THE most un-interesting car to drive that I have ever driven. It belongs to my son. He complained about it from the beginning, but I never drove it much. He's been gone for a few weeks visiting family and I have been driving it while he's gone. Now I understand why he hates it so much.

I have a nice shop at my house and I am a very accomplished mechanic - been doing swaps of all kinds for many, many years. I just haven't even hacked on any Hondas. Converting this car to a 5-speed will be a breeze for me - however I don't have a clue what to look for in a donor vehicle. I have a suspicion that a very wide range of other Honda cars would willingly give up their parts to make this swap happen. I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

Do I need to get all these parts from another 7th gen Civic or will (some) earlier model stuff work? I have access to a complete, running and driving 6th gen 5-speed car for about $500. If only some of the parts will work, which ones won't?

Looking forward to the help.

no problem, ever so many years honda puts out what we like to call the bastard years, and the 7th gen is one of those lol.

Back