1,2,3, Gen

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I just bought a 90 crx si, and the first thing to be done is engine, i aint trying to spend any more then 2500, goin to school and making a car on speed isnt easy... but i wanna know the the hells the difference between B16's and other motors, and all this generation shiz. prolly a dumb question but people gotta start somewhere huh. thanx to ya that help.. :worthy:

there's a huge difference between them all... but the main points you wanna look at is what swap drops in your car the easiest

b16a1 (sir1) - came outta the jap civic/crx sir's and integra xsi's... it's non-obd witha cable trans (good drop for 88-91 civic/crx chassis)

b16a2/3 and sir2 swap- came outta all sorts of shit, the a3's came outta del sol vtecs, usdm a2's came outta 99-00 civic si's and what we refer to as the sir2 swap came outta the eg6 and ek4 civic's in japan, they have minor spec differences with compressiona nd shit, but they are obd compliant motors (some are 1 and some are 2) it all comes down to the year they were made.... they had hydro trannies........

but if we look at everyting as a sir1 or sir2 swap (lets not getting techincal, i'm trying to minimize typing) as far as ease of instalation of the whole swap here's how it goes

88-91 - sir1
92-01 - sir2

please don't any one post about techincalities how not all 92+ swaps are called sir2's i'm just saving typing

I would actually spend less money and buy a LS and slowly piece a turbo kit together or get all the parts for a ls/vtec motor. The B16 has no torque and there is a race in the race section of an LS vs VTEC and the LS took it b/c of the torque an ls has.

(ls swaps = 1200 bucks or so)

That LSVTEC will cost more than a GSR swap in the end. Even with the OBD differences it will be cheaper and easier to swap a B18C1 mated to a cable B16 tranny.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jan 11 2003, 11:31 AM
That LSVTEC will cost more than a GSR swap in the end. Even with the OBD differences it will be cheaper and easier to swap a B18C1 mated to a cable B16 tranny.

no one said anything about a LSVTEC, they said ls vs VTEC, (aka solrevers race)

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jan 11 2003, 11:31 AM

he's right, the only time it's cheaper is when you already had either the block or head already existing in your car... but to go out and purchase both separatly it's pointless... just get a gsr... or straight ls and save for turbo

These are the main options for swaps for your year CRX, i know the prices b/c i just checked them out when i was looking for a swap, i eventually did a LS. i wont list parts just engine and price and hp and such.

ZC= 130hp, good reving, decent HP, but a D series engine. $1200( engine and ECU only) non-vtec

B18a= 142hp/122 trq damn good torque rev's like crap. Good build up, cheap
i got mine complete for about $1800 non-vtec ,,,$2500( normally)

B16a= 160hp/111 trq lacks torque, sexy revver, lots of mods, strong starting engine. expensive. $3500 around vtec

b18c = 180hp/127 trq Obd1 wiring, not 0bd0, good of both worlds lots of HP and torque, great engine for daily, can get into 13's without boost. expensive. $4500, vtec

B18c5= Type R engine, great engine, everything is tops, 195hp/???trq. hard to find and expensive. $$5500-6000 vtec

h22a= balls out racing unless u are going to do full suspension swap, 200-220 hp and alot of torque, Harder to Wire, Harder to mount, only for experianced swapper. Great engine if u have the $$. $6000 , vtec

LS/Vtec= 200+ hp and 130+ trq. great engine if made correctly, can b a problem if u are a newbie to swapping. Best N/A engine in my opinion if dont right. unless u can do it urself, expensive to get done. $5000 vtec ( if dont by u)

I advise the B18a or B18c great torque and not to steap of a price.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Jan 12 2003, 10:04 PM
also all my prices are in canadian dollers.

man i was going to say, $6000 for a Type R, if someone ever paid that much money (USD) they shoud be shot in the foot.

Back