1.8 Ls Motor Turbo Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok. i just had a thought. by the end of the semester, when i got enuff down time, i was going to do my engine swap.
i originally planned on putting a b16a2 into my 96 coupe, and then putting on a turbo.

but i was thinking...

would i get the same results with say a 96+ 1.8 dohc NON vtec LS motor and turbo it?

it would be alot cheaper i think....

screw the smog issue.....

whats the general consensus?

Well, depends what kinda cash you have man. LS/T is a nasty setup, but with enough money, b16/t can be a nasty setup. As I told Chris (zerosk8blah blah here on HS).. you HAVE to set a budget and a power goal and then go about getting it.

ok. the budget is THIS.

<<turns pockets inside out so that they look like rabbit ears>>

i thought i could save a few bucks by going ls turbo instead of b16 turbo.

another reason is, i think when it comes time to swap, i will only have a limited amount of time to get it done,
and dont want to spend 98304958354 weeks looking for a b16a2 that i can legally swap.....
to date, i cannot find a shop that has a stable of b16a2's readily available like they do the regular jdm b16

so i was going to suck it up and get one of the "boys" to hook up the smog.

1.8 non-vtec is rated @ around 160hp?

Yes, you can save money going ls/t. ls swaps can be had for 1200-2000 full swap. Use oem mounts and get it in there. Wiring is easy, b/c you have no vtec, but i think some of the plugs are different, so you need to cut and splice some plugs.

LS is:

Power (bhp@rpm): 142@6300
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 127@5200

If you want to build a ls/t setup. Id say go for it, easier to tune which saves you money, but remember, vtec/turbo setup will be faster, but you wont be disappointed with the ls/t

Also the good thing about the LS is it is readily availible in the US in junkyards nation wide and usually if you look around you can score one pretty cheap,which will leave you plenty more to spend on a turbo.

Get an obd2 LS for around 1500-1800 complete swap. Maybe less, but will be high mileaged.

Probably 2300-2400 total with labor. Give or take.

Cheap hmmmm...under a grand.I've seen complete swaps for around $800,but I drive all over and go to salvage yards on military bases also.If you look outside the import realm and just at your local pick and pull,I don't see them charging anywhere near the prices that specialized places do.

but performance wise, a ls motor, is not comprable (sp?) to a b16(a2) in a ek coupe right?

in other words, same civic, same driver and all things considered equal, if one has a b16.. and the other has a ls, the b16 would win?

if they ahd the same transmission i would say it would be close, the b16 has much shorter gears and therefore is quicker

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 16 2003, 05:07 PM
Cheap hmmmm...under a grand.I've seen complete swaps for around $800,but I drive all over and go to salvage yards on military bases also.If you look outside the import realm and just at your local pick and pull,I don't see them charging anywhere near the prices that specialized places do.

Eh, I dont see a obd2 LS going for 800 bucks.. he sould really just get a long block and buy a GSR tranny since he is gonna boost anyways.

There was a 92 GSR in the junkyard on post,sold complete swap for $200.A place in Corpus had a B16A2 longblock,dude wanted $500 just to get it out of his shop.No it is usual,but if you look around you can find some really good deals.

i paid 1200 shipped for my obd1 ls.
my buddy paid 1700 shipped for his obd2 LS

and make sure you get a 96-98 LS motor. 99+ have a built in immobilizer in the ecu shit

karnash the asshole: go over to sun valley in LA [its right by Glen Oaks/where they filmed rice & the ridiculous]... there is a place there called blue motors or something like that... I've picked up full block and head from there for about 200 bucks... they had the tranny there for something like 180?

anywhere in sun valley, you will find a grip of junk yards... you can usually talk them down cause they get the cars for free anyways... just be careful cause those guys know what they're talkin about cause alot of import guys go over there, they wont fall for stupid shiet if you know what i mean

lol, word up on rice & the ridiculous! haha, but yea, if you look around you're sure to find a good deal. I got my whole ls motor for 800, it's a 95 btw. its a matter of looking around and not jumping on the first deal that you come across. good luck.

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Mar 17 2003, 11:14 AM
karnash the asshole: go over to sun valley in LA [its right by Glen Oaks/where they filmed rice & the ridiculous]... there is a place there called blue motors or something like that... I've picked up full block and head from there for about 200 bucks... they had the tranny there for something like 180?

anywhere in sun valley, you will find a grip of junk yards... you can usually talk them down cause they get the cars for free anyways... just be careful cause those guys know what they're talkin about cause alot of import guys go over there, they wont fall for stupid shiet if you know what i mean

Sun Valley, Glen Oaks?

is that in the san fernando valley? which Fwy is it off of?
and i would want a gsr tranny instead of ls

Originally posted by karnash+Mar 17 2003, 04:59 PM-->
2 litre EG
@Mar 17 2003, 11:14 AM

Sun Valley, Glen Oaks?

is that in the san fernando valley? which Fwy is it off of?
and i would want a gsr tranny instead of ls

yes it is in san fernando valley... they are off the 5 freeway

Back