1990 si hb d16y8 swap help please!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aft040

I have a 90 si hb i am puting the d16y8 into. I have the engine and the original ecu that was taken from the 2000 civic. The motor and ecu came from an automatic. I already plan on buying a ecu jumper from Rywire since the hb's wiring in the engine bay is all messed up. I"m going to use the 2000 civics engine wiring harness.

Questions I Need Help With
1st - will the original auto. ecu work with my si tranny?
2nd - with the ecu jumper all i have to do is unplug the ecu, plug the jumper in the car and to the new ecu? right?
3rd - with the car already being mpfi I shouldn't have to run any wires?? V-TeC wire????

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP!!!!

Do not install the 2000 Honda Civic ECU or wiring. You need a P28 (OBD1) ECU with an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness. You already have an MPFI setup so your set to go with the conversion harness. However, you will need to run the VTEC Solenoid, Oil Pressure Sending Unit, and a 4-wire Oxygen Sensor to this harness for it to work from the sub-harness that is included in the conversion harness. You will also need to purchase a 4-wire OBD1 Oxygen Sensor and you will need to purchase a D15b7 distributor (D16z6 OBD1 distributors do not fit well on the D16y8 head), and the D15b7 is an OBD1 distributor. Go all OBD1. Goodluck!.

Last edited:
if you need a d16y8 fuel rail and injectors i have a set i don't particularly need at the moment...

I only told you that you have to wire like 6wires, which include VTEC Solenoid, 4-wire Oxygen Sensor, Oil Pressure Sensor. If you go OBD2a -or- b there will be a lot more wiring and hassles.

from what I know (which I DONT know everything) wouldnt it be easiest to buy a obd0 to obd2b ecu jumper, use a stock 99-00 civic EX 5spd ecu plug them together and plug them in the car, then use the stock 99-00 civic EX engine wiring harness?? Im not positive, please correct me if im wrong.. sorry for the headaches, just want to make sure before i do the swap.

I understand but you need to utilize a crank position sensor a.k.a. CYP Sensor. I am not actually in tune with what needs done on that swap, but I hear it is harder.

You could stay obd2 with a 5 speed ecu but you would need the obd2 wiring harness also. converting to obd1 with a jumper and a chipped p28, or p06(vtec enabled) would be easiest. The wiring is super easy. Getting it throught the firewall is the hardest part, lol.

Do not install the 2000 Honda Civic ECU or wiring. You need a P28 (OBD1) ECU with an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness. You already have an MPFI setup so your set to go with the conversion harness. However, you will need to run the VTEC Solenoid, Oil Pressure Sending Unit, and a 4-wire Oxygen Sensor to this harness for it to work from the sub-harness that is included in the conversion harness. You will also need to purchase a 4-wire OBD1 Oxygen Sensor and you will need to purchase a D15b7 distributor (D16z6 OBD1 distributors do not fit well on the D16y8 head), and the D15b7 is an OBD1 distributor. Go all OBD1. Goodluck!.

will i need to do the same to put in my 1990 crx hf. and if possible wat will be everything needed i have the motor and transmission but will i need to cahnge motor mounts and axles and stuff like that. thanks

As for motor mounts, you can just use the stock mounts you already have. I THINK that I heard somewhere that you need a D16y8 motor mount from the head to the chassis, I am not 100% sure though. As for axles, whichever transmission you use must be the same hubs you are using. For example, if you have a 1990 CRX hf (such as you do) then your hubs are obviously Hf hubs and need the Hf axles to match the hubs. Per say you use the 1990 CRX Dx axles then they will not fit. I had a 1989 Civic CX H/B and I needed an axle so I let my local automotive place source some for me, well, I received them and they were Dx and the shaft was too big, or too small (I forget) for my hub on the 1989 Civic Cx. As for a list of parts needed for this swap, I feel I listed most, but I will think of some more and get back to you.

I understand but you need to utilize a crank position sensor a.k.a. CYP Sensor. I am not actually in tune with what needs done on that swap, but I hear it is harder.

yea it is. you have more evap equipment to worry bout that the obd2 ecu will be looking for. as well as the CKF not CYP sensor lol. the CYP is in the dizzy and the CKF (crankshaft fluctuation) sensor is located on the y8's oil pump. lastly, you're spot on about the axles. use whatever matches the hubs.

to OP: for mounts you need to bolt the a6's engine post mount (the part that actually bolts to the block) up to the y8. then you will be able to use your stock a6 engine mounts.

Back