1992 Honda Civic Cx (hatch)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

gupta_p

I've been sitting and contemplating what I want to do with my horribly slow civic for a long time, my stupid 70 horses aren't cutting it anymore, and I hate having a hard time keeping up with the damn traffic.. anyhow, I've started reading about swapping.

At first .. I was thinking the b18b would be a smart swap; it's relatively cheap, and it fits in without any modifications (right?). But then, I came to the realization that if I was gonna swap, I was gonna swap in a VTEC engine, and the b18b is just not gonna cut it.

So .. I started looking, and the b18c seems way out of my price leage, and the b16a seems just in my price range. I'm not sure what b16 swap I should ge though .. I just want the most simple (and by far cheapest) swap I can get, that's VTEC and will pull.

I want to spend like ~1-2k on my swap... and I want to go VTEC.

I hope this type of questino hasn't been answered, if it has, just point me in the directino of that post, and i'll read away =)

Anyhow, what do you think? :spin: <-- looked neat.

your car is obd1, and the cheaper b16 swap is the SiR 1, but its obd0 and cable tranny, whereas yours is hydro. So you need the b16 SiR 2 (II), which is around 2250, plus a mount kit, or you can use the del sol vtec rear mount and then teg tranny and side motor mounts if you want to use OEM. BTW, the mount kit is around 500 bucks from HASport or Place Racing.

If your budget is 1-2k. Then, I would get a z6 vtec head, distrib, ecu and IM/tb/injectors and timing belt the same yr as the head and do a mini-me. It yields 135hp and then get a ZEX 50 shot of N2O and a 92-95 Si tranny or EX tranny.. something better than your CX tranny. You can get the head/distrib/ecu/timing belt for under 500 and then you can get CAI/Header/Exhuast and make dcent power for your budget.

Wow .. it's that expensive? Damnn =) Well, supposed I wanted to go with the non-vtec swap, the b18b ls swap .. how hard/expensive is that? Would that more appropriately fit my budget?

Btw, thanks for your insight dude, it's really helpful.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jan 24 2003, 06:08 AM
So you need the b16 SiR 2 (II), which is around 2250, plus a mount kit, or you can use the del sol vtec rear mount and then teg tranny and side motor mounts if you want to use OEM. BTW, the mount kit is around 500 bucks from HASport or Place Racing.

If your budget is 1-2k. Then, I would get a z6 vtec head, distrib, ecu and IM/tb/injectors and timing belt the same yr as the head and do a mini-me. It yields 135hp and then get a ZEX 50 shot of N2O and a 92-95 Si tranny or EX tranny.. something better than your CX tranny. You can get the head/distrib/ecu/timing belt for under 500 and then you can get CAI/Header/Exhuast and make dcent power for your budget.

You don't need a mount kit for a B16A siRII into a 5th gen.You can use a mix of OEM mounts.The one from hasport only replaces two mounts ,and is only an upgrade,not a nescessity.

I would either do the mini me as suggested or just swap in B18B,for the money those are the good options.

Does the b18b have a lot of potential? Do I have to go turbo to get the max out of that?

Suppose I wasn't going to go turbo at all .. is the b18b still a good choice compared to its vtec equivalent (in terms of how much each swap costs)?

As far as compared to it's price equivolent,it is determined by where you get them,But I would be inclined to say,you'd be better off saving a little more and going with a vtec series,if your not planning on investing in a turbo.The thing is any engine,with the right financial backing of course,can be made to out perform others,if your talking base line,the B series vtecs are the better choice for what it seems like you want.

with some work, you can easliy make the b18b outperform a b-series vtec in both torque and power.

i say go for it.

as for mounts, use 94-01 integra mounts that come with it. it bolts right in.

I just read that entire vtec vs non-vtec thread, and I was impressed by what you said pissedoffsol, and since I'm almost always genuinely strapped for cash (being in college sux), I think I might go the b18b route.

How much do those swaps sell for .. generally. (and I guess, if it's hard to give a general price readout ... how much did you pay for your b18b swap in an area somewhat close to Virginia)

What other part upgrades will I have to go for if I run out and get a b18b swap? just the standard swap stuff (tranny, axles, etc?) Is there something else that people don't generally know about .. that should be upgraded?

thanks! :worthy:

Bringing dead threads back for the sake of adding zero value comments is a bad thing. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Thread locked to prevent further post whoring.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back