1999 EK Auto2Manual B16a1 *PICS*

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nicky

Hi everyone I must first thank all of you for all the outstanding information.

So lets get to the point my first post, been guest member and reading a lot.

Registered some time back but just been taking a lot of info in and doing some research before hand.

I'm looking into doing an auto2manual and b16a1 into 1999 civic. With 1991 Civic donor car!!

I've read a lot, and I know the b16a1 is cable tranny, which will work in favour for me as I'm converting auto2manual. It just seems a lot easier to run the cable rather then the hydro correct?

The motor is presently swapped in a 1991 Civic, so my plans are using that as a donor car and taking clutch parts, pedals, linkage, etc and swapping auto2manual in my car.

The other thing is mounts, and power steering. 1991 Civic doesn't have power steering but the motor has power steering on it. Can I just hook up the power steering from my car?

And will the present mounts work on the 1999 civic?

Any kinda of input is welcome please and thank you.

Please don't put me down, as I've worked up a lot courage to make this my first post.

I know search button is my friend and it has been my best friend on this forum, and has helped me out a lot.

My car:
1999EK2.jpg

1999EK.jpg

Donor car 1991 civic:
b16a1swap.jpg

b16a1swap2.jpg

And a little of something that goes down on the block for riding pocket bikes on the street (2 undercover cops black and white Crown Vic's).
Total tickets $1600
Judge thrown out tickets due to lack of evidence:
cops.jpg

Ok,

So here is an update for those who want to know.

I ended scraping the other idea and just sold the car. I thought if I'm going to do this swap might as well do it right.

So I picked up an B16a2 with Y1 LSD tranny. "I know this is worth less without pictures."

But I promise to post up pictures as soon as I get them up.

So for now I'm just collecting all the parts. This is my list:

Parts List:
OBD2b to OBD1 harness=$80
Distributor Jumper Harness = $30

Auto 2 Manual conversion:
Pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder = $60
Clutch lines = $6.00
23189 006 1 BRACKET, TRANSMISSION MOUNT (MT) $26.85
23191 008 1 RUBBER, R. FR. STOPPER INSULATOR (MT) $31.36
23192 009 1 RUBBER, L. FR. STOPPER INSULATOR (MT) $34.86
23193 010 1 BRACKET, R. FR. STOPPER (MT) $31.36
23203 019 3 BOLT, FLANGE (12X64) $0.88
22855 015 1 BRACKET, CLUTCH PIPE (A) $5.03
T bracket (23225 007 1 BRACKET, RR. ENGINE MOUNTING $40.85)

Please fill me in if I need more!!

Also I was reading that the auto engine harness might be a problem in the swap? Will I need another harness or I should be ok?

I've been trying to locate a EX harness but been unable to do so.

Look out for pictures of the motor. And I think it's got about 80,000km's on it. So therefore will be changing the timing belt and water pump with GS-R parts.

Damn bro... i am thinking of doing the same swap... where did you find the B16a2 complete swap from? I cant find one anywhere... I am going to stay glued to your thread as far as the parts list... I have a 99 EK Coupe... that i need to convert from AT to MT... Sorry I couldnt help...

One thing... why would you need a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness? The 99 EK is obd2 as well as the b16a2... correct?

One thing... why would you need a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness? The 99 EK is obd2 as well as the b16a2... correct?

Wrong bro. 99 EK's are obd2b. Which means the harness is a obd2b harness and I have a P28 ecu which is a obd1. So you would need a harness to go from the obd2b engine harness to the P2b obd1 pin's.

I'll take pictures and post them up for you. I picked up the harness on eBay for like $60CAD.

I live in Canada, Toronto. So a lot of B16's being sold here. I got mine for very very cheap.

But soon when I get started on the project I'll post pictures as I go.

I also picked up an EX 1999-2000 engine harness from eBay for $200CAD. So I'm keeping my eyes out for deals and such.

I should start this project when I'm done school in April but will keep you posted with parts and everything

Bro I highly recommend you getting a donor car which is from 1993-2000 this will help you out a lot when it comes to getting parts for the AT to MT swap.

sorry to jump in to your forum and change the subject bt no one is responding to my post. i am going to be swapping a type r in to my 97 ek coupe and was woondering if anyone has ever done this swap and could tell me what parts i need o prep for it and maybe if there is step by step manuals for this

sorry to jump in to your forum and change the subject bt no one is responding to my post. i am going to be swapping a type r in to my 97 ek coupe and was woondering if anyone has ever done this swap and could tell me what parts i need o prep for it and maybe if there is step by step manuals for this

Well it's basically the same. Just do a lot of research and you'll find ton's of information.

Here is a link for a B18c GSR: B18C1 Motor Swap Guide - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com

Here is a link to Type R in an EK youTube video:
Part1:
YouTube - One6 2000 Civic CX B18C5 Engine Swap Part 1 of 3
Part2:
YouTube - One6 2000 Civic CX B18C5 Engine Swap Part 2 of 3
Part3:
YouTube - One6 2000 Civic CX B18C5 Engine Swap Part 3 of 3

Just hit the search button and google everything.

Good luck.

So I want to retain my A/C.

I found this bracket on eBay:
DSCN4226.jpg

I want to know if this is the P54 bracket for B16a2 in order to keep my A/C in my EK?

Thanks for clarifying that bro... Sounds like it should be a fun project... We have 2 donor cars as far as brackets and such for the tranny... I just picked up the Pedal set, Clutch master cylinder, clutch lines and reservior tank yesterday for $200. I am going with the B18C obd2 complete swap from HMO. I will be ordering it today. This project should start sometime next week.

Nice bro keep me posted!

I'll be starting within 2weeks, just waiting for all the mounts to come in. And the bracket I have for the A/C is the one you need if you want to retain your SOHC A/C unit. So that should work out.

Let me know if you need further parts list I should have it at home with part numbers and everything.

And I highly suggest you to pick up some Engery Suspension bushings, I heard it works wonders.

I know I been saying I'll post pictures but I just haven't had the time to shoot some up. Will do soon though.

Thanks for reading.

Nicky! Man i cant wait to see how yours comes out! I ordered the complete GSR swap yesterday to include:

Si rear mount
Pass Post Bracket
Del Sol AC bracket
obd2a to obd2b harness
Type R Red Valve cover
Shipped to the shop for 3500
Coming out of a 96-97 GSR with 72km....

I will keep you posted... if i need certain part numbers i will definitly let you know...

one question: will the GSR exhaust manifold fit a 99 EX coupe exhaust set up?

Well i found the answer to my question:
will the GSR exhaust manifold fit a 99 EX coupe exhaust set up?
Yes... apparently so will after market headers for a GSR.

Thats awesome Drew, the price seems to be fair enough. I can't wait to see your putcome make sure you take lots of pictures.

So I came up onto another dilemma I have a T mount that I got from his B16 swap into an EG but I don't know if that fits my EK?

Would you happen to know that?

I picked up my pedal's and will be putting them in this weekend, will take some pictures stay tuned.

Ya the exhaust problem is a quick solve, a lot of the B motors exhaust fit universally to one another. But some of the OBD2B have a 2nd O2 sensor so watch out for that.

I'll take pictures of all the parts I got so far.

Peace!!

Swap came in today... come to find out that i do need the Manual engine harness as the auto wont work... no biggie... got it coming to the shop today. here are some pics... oh yeah big ups to HMotorsonline... the techs at Scorpion Auto said this is the cleanest swap they have ever seen!

l_fb9e6dca964b4da5b2b9f9a7d98ce2c0.jpg

l_1918084d2a8945d49672b13b2fdad3ec.jpg

l_2dd72185c32446d98681900146531737.jpg

l_88d5eca56691473a9cff29373c4cf902.jpg

l_424be7820df54118b8ca541595de6359.jpg

l_8e715fe2e9ff40a5bc978ec0c05ec14b.jpg

I guess with the site being down for a day some of the post's were deleted.

So any updates Drew?

I'm doing my swap next week.

Seeing that i got my complete swap from HMO these are some things that will need to be done after the motor is dropped in:

- The GSR PS pump does not fit the PS line on the 99 EX. The inlets are diffrent.I ended up having to get an SI pump. The EX line fits the SI pump but it is a little short and the line rubs up against your vavle cover. So i got a new SI PS line that fits perfect and curves around the vavle cover. Works great!

- The collector off the GSR exhaust manifold WILL NOT fit the 99 EX cat as it is a 2.5 outlet. As of right now i am stuck on how i want to fix this. I had originally bought a header but it ended up being to short and i think it is for a b16a obd1. So i am thinking i am just going to upgrade the header, cat and exhuast at one time. Unless anyone has any suggestions...

- if you upgrade your Intake Manifold make sure you get an integ LS throttle wheel in order for the GSR TB to match up with the throttle cable. if not your throttle cable with be all turned around since the stock GSR Intake Manifold is basically upside down.

- As far as tranny mounts all i needed was the rear one which wasnt to expensive. I recommend getting the Del Sol AC bracket as it bolts up perfectly!

Other than that.. i drove the car yesterday with an open header... it shifts good and feels good. i wasnt able to get on it since i want to break the motor in and plus the car is super loud! One more thing, the pedal set i got doesnt have the wire for the cruise control... so no cruise control for me. if you want to keep it... make sure you get the right pedal set... that is all for now... hopefully this week the car will be back at home with me... and complete...for now... :)

Back