1999 Honda civic daily driver 300hp looking to get 500hp with turbo what kind of tires should I use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skinlessmango

I currently have 14 inch rims on my civic but I'm looking to swap in a built b20 that will make 300 HP and then after around a year I will put on a turbo and run it up to about 450 HP. what are the best tires you guys would reccomend. It's just my daily driver so I'm just looking for something that will keep me on the ground. Most importantly is 14 inches of rim enough for 300 HP?

Before we talk about the tires, let me get this straight...you have a built B20 that makes 300 hp naturally aspirated? If so, that's impressive. That engine in its current form is probably not going to be appropriate for a turbo, though.

Before we talk about the tires, let me get this straight...you have a built B20 that makes 300 hp naturally aspirated? If so, that's impressive. That engine in its current form is probably not going to be appropriate for a turbo, though.
no sir, I have money, time and a dream to get my b20b to make 300 hp before a turbo. looking to add a CSS, cam, new pistons, rod and whatever else is needed to get it there along with a head swap and possible porting of the heads. I will let you know how it goes because it's happening......

The thing is that a turbo build will need different components than an all motor build does. 300 all motor is not a step towards 500 boosted.

my plan right now is to get a cylinder support system for my b20b block and swap on a gsr head (frankenstien build). then I'll add a cam and swap out most the motor internals like the pistons rod and maybe the shaft depending on wether or not that is necessary for my build. looking for all the adivce i can get when it comes to building it though. I'm going to build the motor now to hopefully be able to better handle a turbo later.

my plan right now is to get a cylinder support system for my b20b block and swap on a gsr head (frankenstien build). then I'll add a cam and swap out most the motor internals like the pistons rod and maybe the shaft depending on wether or not that is necessary for my build. looking for all the adivce i can get when it comes to building it though. I'm going to build the motor now to hopefully be able to better handle a turbo later.

First question: Do you have a reliable vehicle (that isn't your 99 civic) to get you to work, grocery store, girlfriend's house, auto parts store, sketchy facebook marketplace purchases? -- If not, you should really consider that as your first priority before starting this build. Sure, it's do-able, but it's a lot lower stress when you can just put the tools away and walk back into the house, take a shower, pour yourself a drink, and go to sleep when you get tired of trying to get that engine back in on a Sunday night.

An engine built for a turbo is not an engine built for N/A. Don't build an engine for turbo over time... It's not worth it, you'll never be happy, and you'll keep breaking things you didn't do right because you wanted to "just get it done." See the first paragraph. Take your time.

You probably don't want to daily a 300-500whp 1999 civic. Traction becomes an issue, unless you drive it like a granny. While I've daily driven mine a few times, I almost always turn the boost down to drive on the street. Again, see the first paragraph.

Building a B-series engine (any of them) aren't going to be worth it. Just go K24, then you can turbo it down the road and you'll be far happier with it. Trust me...

To answer your question... DOT tires that will handle 300-500hp are not going to last if you daily drive the car. You might get 10-12k miles out of them. Maybe. The more important question is: Why are you going to keep 14" wheels/tires if you're building a b20 for boost? That's like buying dollar-store "lemon-lime soda" to mix in your Whistle Pig 10yr. You won't be happy with any tire combo on 14" wheels, because they're simply not made anymore. Most performance tires are made in 17" wheels now, with some 15" still due to racing rule restrictions on wheel size. I'd go 15x6 wheels and some kind of 200TW like @TurboMirage suggested, but I'd add Direzza Z2 or Z3 to that list.

Last edited:
Back